G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Premium Member
197 Posts
Posted By Jerry Barnes on 02/09/2009 8:26 PM
Be neat to watch tv and have a train run by over it!

Well I don't know Jerry. I have a hard enough time now trying to hear the slurred and whispering dialog that unfortunately seems to be the rage in so many contemporary movies (e.g., try watching "Martian Child" and see if you can hear John Cusack's lines without kicking up the volume pretty high). I want to install sound in most of my locos and I think I will be able to hear them all the way around my basement. ON the other hand, I bought a miniature color video camera & transmitter at ECLSTS in 2007 and it may be cool to watch the "engineer's perspective" on the 52" widescreen. 

Al

· Premium Member
5,578 Posts
Yeah, but if you turn the volume up enough to hear the dialog during the entertainment portion of a TV show, you'd better be mighty quick with the thumb on the MUTE button or you'll be blown out of your chair by the incessant, nervous, insistent, discordant non-melodic "music" (and I use that term loosely) that is trying to drown out the words of the haranguing, loudmouthed, bellowing pitch-makers screaming their lies.

· Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Al,

I have the same problem with hearing dialog around, through and over that stupid, blasting noise called music. My son bought me one of those amplifier doodads with about 8 or a dozen speakers--surround sound--that's it. For Christmas. I had him put two of those smaller speakers right behind my head. Now I hear louder mumblings and grunts and blasts of music fit for a Babylonian fertility rite, only louder. Still have only the vaguest idea of the dialog. I've given up watching movies on TV. If I want to see something, I wait 'till it comes out on DVD. Seems clearer.

Les

· Premium Member
130 Posts
There are two tv's in the basement. A big one in the front and a smaller one in the shop. They are usually on when I'm working on the layout or rolling stock. Half and half when runnning trains. TV's are not usually on during an ops session, unless it is football season and then they are on. Ahh, that's not always true, sometimes they are on to the Country Music Channel for a little music between the switching and yard duties. You can always tell how good the ops session is going by how many know the score better than where the trains are. Cold or rainy days seem to attract lots of football fans. Nice day and the ops go better than the ball game.

Jan is the big football fan. If I told her she couldn't have the game on during an ops session and that would end the trains running at this place on a Sunday afternoon. ;-)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.