G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Tom,

It's hard to say enough good about your solution and construction techniques! Running the track above the hedges was inspired, IMHO.

Before I realized health issues would force me indoors, I was going to build on a sloping piece of waste yard overgrown with bush honeysuckle, but instead of clearing it all off, I was going to thread the track around some of it, hoping to achieve a sort of 'instant timber' effect. That all went away.

As for heights, my sooner-to-be built benchwork will be 36" off the floor x 36" wide, i.e. the common width of light steel shelving. Shelves underneath. Altogether less hassle that way. And open framework 1 x4's so I can get a 'below grade' effect.

Les

· Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Paul,

Thank you for letting me know of these shelves. It has been my experience that polymer shelves, drawers, etc then to 'cold flow' over time, and/or become brittle and crack. These of which you speak may be improved.

The thing is, and the reason I settled on steel shelves, is that I have a number of them. You're entirely right about some cheap ones being uselessly fragile. Mine are the heavy-gauge ones meant for industrial or at least, light manufacturing applications.

I will, be assured, go to Wallymart and give them a look.

Les

· Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 02/09/2009 5:21 PM
BTW: How many of you male types are gonna claim I am wrong about my description of the ladies???? Any of you that foolish?

Me.
What I see happening if you did that is, those lovely ladies, being married women ... I can see one filling the mop pail with cold water while two more got you up far enough to stick your head in it.... While a fourth brought a roll of toilet paper from the head... Yeah, Semp, ol' buddy, they've had you on your feet in 30 seconds. Just my take.

Les

Chuckle.

· Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Al,

I have the same problem with hearing dialog around, through and over that stupid, blasting noise called music. My son bought me one of those amplifier doodads with about 8 or a dozen speakers--surround sound--that's it. For Christmas. I had him put two of those smaller speakers right behind my head. Now I hear louder mumblings and grunts and blasts of music fit for a Babylonian fertility rite, only louder. Still have only the vaguest idea of the dialog. I've given up watching movies on TV. If I want to see something, I wait 'till it comes out on DVD. Seems clearer.

Les

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.