G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm looking for tubing that can be used from the gas tank to the burner that will handle the temps and pressure. MY plan is to use this in lieu of hard copper piping with threaded fittings for quick and easy testing.

Any suggestions? What size ID and product name?
Steve A.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
There is plastic tube / hose / used for pneumatics. They take high pressure, and are less than 1/4" in diameter. They are only somewhat flexible, since they are very hard. You probably can't bend it to less than 2"diameter circle, just to give you an idea how flexible / stiff they are.

However, copper tubing bent to form a coil, is very flexible. Regner uses this as gas-connection between the locomotive and tender!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Accucraft uses a wire-rapped plastic tubing from the tender tank to the nozzle, on their 4-4-0, which might be exactly what you are looking for. Call Cliff at AC Service, and maybe you can order one .
Alex

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Well if ytou are putting a line from the regulator than nothing more than silicone tubing from the hobbyshop used for Nitro Fuel is all you need. Made by Durbo I think but its common to find. They have 2 or 3 sizes and I have used the small and med stuff. 1/16" and 1/8"

Just make sure that there is a barb on the fittings for the hose. It is very flexable too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Take care with silicone tube as they tend to harden over time when used for gas. I replace mine once a year. The flames when a tube between tank and regulator break has to be seen: impressive, doubly so as your engine continues to run around :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use Dubro neoprene fuel line on my locomotives. You can get it from RC shops or suppliers. This stuff has an OD of about 3/16". It has pretty thick walls so it handles the pressure of gas flowing through it no problem. I am using mine with Rectus micro quick connects. I just try to avoid disconnecting the tender with the gas valve open. That way I don't pressurize the tubing with the full pressure of the gas tank. Does that make sense? This stuff does break down in extreme heat so you can't use it as a steam line but gas jet assemblies don't get hot at all, so for burner and gas use, it has proven fine. As an extra precaution I put an inch or so of hard pipe between the the neoprene tube and the gas jet. The real advantage to this stuff is that it is black. It is pretty much the same as the tubing that Aster uses.

Regards,

·
Registered
210 Posts
Use anything you want Steve, at that point there is no pressure involved so it only has to be a push fit, the tube is just acting as a conduit.

David M-K
Ottawa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts