G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have built a cuople of flats using prototypical plans.
Some of these look too wide in 1:20 scale. I'm going to do some 24 foot cars and thought about making the width of the car the same as my bachman shay. Any advice on a visually appealing width for a 24 foot flat in 1:20 scale?

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
"Visually appealing" is one of personal perception.

Prototypically speaking, a 24' flat car would typically be of either older vintage (c. 1880s) or built particularly short by the railroad for a specific reason. If it's an older car, then you would expect it to have a width anywhere between 6' and 7' 4" wide. Most early narrow gauge equipment was built to widths in that ballpark give or take an inch. Most "modern" (and by that I mean c. 1910 forward) rolling stock tended to gravitate towards the wide end of the 7' spectrum, with a few pieces pushing 8' wide or more (but only by a few inches). That would better match the width of the Shay, but may look a bit ill-proportioned on something as short as a 24' car.

Personally, I'd shoot for a width around 7' 3" or so (4 3/8"). That's wide enough to be appropriate for an older 24' car, not too narrow to where it looks out of place behind the Shay, and narrow enough to where a 24' long car doesn't look too short (based on what I consider "visually appealing."

Later,

K

G

·
0 Posts
Yep, skip my post above...I was directing you to what Kevin had written concerning my nearly same questions in the past!

thanks Kevin, that makes it good deal easier to read and find!

cale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts