G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Wonderful job Michael, well done.
The turbine seems to be such a logical way to power a steam locomotive, and whilst most countries seemed to try them, I am never sure why they didn't catch on, but I guess they were just too late as diesel power had by then started to arrive.
Why is there steam coming from the back of the cab?
I look forward to seeing the final build.
All the best,
David Leech, Canada

· Premium Member
2,409 Posts
FANTASTIC, need to see more of this, please keep posting. US Turbines: I read somewhere that the UP Turbines used as much fuel when idling as high balling. I think they used Liquified Gas. The Jawn Henry used ground up coal that was blown in, don't know if that faired much better.

· Registered
64 Posts
Michael,
That's very interesting. Do you have any details of the turbine itself?

I was unaware of the prototype and had to do some looking. It seems they were actually practical and had relatively long service lives. All three built are preserved and at least one has run in preservation and it appears be currently under restoration to operation.

Roger

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What boiler pressure do you run at? From what I've read about turbines, they prefer higher pressures.

Roger
I said in the second video (in German :) ): "I'll open the regulator, when the gauge reads 3 bar" So, that's about 40 psi, and the gas-fired boiler appears to maintain that pressure despite the ambient temperature of 4°C (or 40°F).

Michael

· Registered
64 Posts
Micheal,

Unfortunately my German is limited to what I learned when I visited there when I was 11. Now that you say it, I do hear "drei bar". I tried google translate and it came up with "Outdoor pool there are from now on" :)

I have to say your locomotive is inspiring. The work that Werner Jeggli does with turbines is amazing but seems far out of reach for me. Your approach of using an available turbine and fairly simple design make it seem accessible.

It's not reversible is it?

Please do keep posting progress.

Roger

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hello,
After a two-month interruption (I was operated on my eyes / cataract) I am back in business, see

Now I am going to dismantle the loco to finalize it.

Michael

P.S.
Werner Jeggli pointed out this thread of Byron Hanchett to me
Model Turbines | Model Engineer (model-engineer.co.uk)
Byron also covers the Chinese turbine I used in my loco.

I've also written an article for the G1MRA Newsletter&Journal.

· Premium Member
2,409 Posts
Michael, the cataract surgery is amazing, had mine done 18 months ago, big difference. I noticed you have the leaky clack valve taken care of and all the steam is going to the turbine, and it sure can pull a load. You have inspired the project I am presently working on, thank you and keep up the good work. Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts