G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to some fella's from the GGRRC winter meet this weekend, I made my 1st decision on which type battery to use in my 1st conversion.

Black/Decker drill with 2 slide version 18v battery packs and a charger - $49.95
I also went for the High speed 1 hour charger that was normally $29.00 on Sale for $15!
Who knows which side of the terminals is hot/cold etc.?
Now I think all I need is the MU plugs and decide on a car. I figure I will velcro the batteries in for easy removal etc.?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Hmm. WOnder if one of those would fit in my Annie's tender...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Jerry you need to pick your poison. Track or Battery. Disgusting
. Later RJD

·
Registered
213 Posts
John,

How are you going to control the loco? Have you decided on a RC System?

I did a very similar install to get me into Batt/RC a few years back:

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42328&SearchTerms=drill,batteries

though a little dated now, it may be of some help?

cale

In the above thread it's mentioned about using the charger outside of the car (Battery stays in place)...that is how I did it. I opened up the charger and added some wire and a plug to charge the battery while inside the stock car. It worked well. That, of course may not be you chosen method, but it is an alternative?

·
Registered
818 Posts
In a lot of ways, charging the batteries inside the car is a lot cleaner than pulling them out. My problem is that when one runs down while I'm running, I like to swap them out and keep running while the discharged one is getting charged. That defines that for me, I generally prefer to pull my batteries out for charging.

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
That's how I run.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an Aristo 27mhz TE, just ordered my MU plugs from Cali last night! I think I will remove them so I can also swap out dead for live batteries on the go.
That's how I (gonna) roll... hehe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have just caught this thread, very interesting I might have give the larger batteries at look at. Just one item that I'm stuck on, what is an MU plug, can some one post a pic? We might know them by a different over here (England)

Rgards
Bram

1 - 11 of 11 Posts