G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a fire box glow, made of l.e.ds that I can buy? I would like the add this to my aristocraft mikado. And would I be able to just splice into the wires for a current light?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Hello, Polex, and welcome to MLS!
I have seen a product specifically for what you are talking about, but can't remember the manufacturer. I will try to find it, but I responded to this now, because I'm hoping someone else will see your question and have a better memory than myself!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I had an LGB mogul that I installed a Hillside firebox glow unit in some years ago. I don't know if they are still around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As far as I know, Hillside does not exist any more. I have one of their kits in my LGB Forney and it works pretty well. The LEDs are bright and if you drill a hole in the bottom of the firebox, the light will shine down onto the tracks which at night, looks pretty cool. The units in the LGB moguls are neat because they turn on and off simulating the firedoor being opened and closed. Now that I recall, someone did an article in GR that involved using a mini transistor radio to make caboose marker lights flicker. I'm guessing that that can be adapted into a flickering firebox too.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Personally I think that firebox glow is not realistic. The only time there is a firebox glow is when the firebox door is open. Unless the engine is really really hard working hand fired engine where the fireman is continually shoveling coal, most of the time there is no glow from the firebox since the door is closed.

My personal experience was that operating a hard working steam engine at night it wasn't so much a glow as a blinding light when that door was open. The fire could be pretty intense and while running the engine it was important to not stare over at the open fire when the door was open. Keep your eyes on the tracks ahead.

Tom

·
Registered
688 Posts
I take the firebox gow out of my locos. I can't see it running outside in the daylight and at night it doesn't show up real well either.

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
If you do a lot of knight running it is cool but how many times are you going to do this. Might want to spend your bucks on something else more useful. Later RJD

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Maybe you didn't know, but if you put a Sierra sound system in the engine, it includes the firebox glow feature and all you have to do is mount a couple diodes in the firebox area. (Just in case you were thinking of getting a sound system too. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts