G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a duplication of a Forum post I made to the "Rolling Stock" group.

I am considering purchasing some of the 1:32 scale Harriman coaches made by Finescale Locomotive Co. in the UK.
Finescale's owner is unable to provide me with the names of US customers due to his privacy policy, so that I might personally inspect Finescale's products or understand any potential issues.

If any of this forum's readers have experience with or own any Finescale products, I'd really appreciate a return message. You are welcome to use my email address ([email protected]) if you don't wish to respond to this Forum publicly.

Since I am contemplating purchasing 6+ cars at $1500 ea, I'd really like to see some of Finecale's products and understand any quality or delivery issues before I order.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
All you needed to do was ask in the first place. I would doubt any business would be at liberty to disclose personal information unless you had a warrant. While this is the live steam forum, you might get more responses in here

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Hi Jim,
Jeff is asking about Finescale Locomotive cars.
You seem to be talking about J&M cars.
They are NOT the same.
All the best,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeff,
Why don't you give Geoff Spenceley a call, I believe he was the Finescale Distributor in the US at one point. I know he had a rake of Finescale GWR Supersaloons which he ran behind his King. I'm sure he will be able to answer your questions.

Rob Meadows

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Rob.

I have swapped emails with Geoff and Jim Stapleton as well.

I'm still hoping for locate someone who actually owns some of the Harriman coaches. I think that the late Rick Runyon had some as part of his nice Southern Pacific collection but I haven't found out who purchased them from his estate.

Jeff

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Jeff

Rick's cars probably ended up back in the UK with most everything else on "the wall". I own the GWR cars that Geoff had and someone else got the Southern coaches. Most folks in the live steam hobby spend there $$$ on "yet another locomotive" and not so much on high dollar rolling stock.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Jeff,
I remember having a conversation with Neil Rose when he was first thinking of making the Harriman cars and wanted to make sure that I wasn't also going to be building them.
From what I recall, I think that it was Rick Runyon who convince Neil that they would be a good seller.
Since that time, I have never seen any other than those that Neil has had on display, so you may find that you get no response from any owners, because there may be very few!
Just a thought.
All the best,

·
Registered
27 Posts
Since Finescales primary market is in the UK I would ask for feedback from the forums there. This wont help you in terms of actually eyeballing their products in person but you can probably get a pretty good idea about the quality etc and most likely get to see pictures of their products. bertiejo

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Finescale Locomotive Co products = Rolls Royce cars/Rolex watches/Fine Art Models. Tablecloths? Crockery, napkins and rings and cutlery'? Fabric-covered seats? In Gauge 1? I don't think that you'd have any problems with quality issues.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Jeff

I'm based in the UK and was fortunate to pick up a pair of second-hand Finescale Harriman coaches last year in good condition. I own a open compartment carriage and a baggage/open compartment carriage, both in plain green.

Looking at the "baggage-comp" I note:
The rivet detail is excellent - similar to that in the period photo below. Presumably this is a brass etch. There is a nice recessed door for the baggage area. The interior is spartan with rows of beige seats arranged in pairs either side of the isle. I have seen similarly spartan period interior photos so these are OK. There is a lot of roof and undercarriage detail.

I find Neil Rose of the Finescale Locomotive a pleasure to do business with and am not affiliated in any way. I have bought around 8 new coaches from him over the years. He even re-glued the seating in a coach which I had picked up second-hand free of charge !

To avoid disappointment, I suggest you 1) work out which coaches you need to make up your six coach "consist" 2) order a single coach from Neil (I suggest the baggage/compartment) in your chosen livery, and if happy, order more. It will cost you more in postage but that way if you think the second batch coaches should have minor changes, Neil may be able to accomodate them. You may wish to check with him that the glues he uses will stand up to the Californian sun - I'm confident he will have thought if this before.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...mp;bih=677

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...=1t:429,r:6,s:15&tx=97&ty=45&biw=1024&bih=677

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Simon,
Please accept the following as helpful information, not as a lecture!
I know that you are in the UK, but as you are modelling North American you must learn the 'correct' terminology and try not to think in 'English'!!!!
The 'open compartment carriage' would be normally referred to as just a COACH in Harriman terms, although some railroads would call these CHAIR CARS.
Unlike the British railways, for day use there was not the use of OPEN and COMPARTMENT coaches, all seating only cars were indeed open, but the compartments were used in the sleeping cars, where they were converted between seats for day use, and beds for night use.
The 'baggage/open compartment carriage' is referred to as a COMBINE, being the combination of half COACH and BAGGAGE car.
Having said all this, they are 'your' trains, so you can really call them whatever you wish!
All the best,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I greatly appreciate all of your input and ideas.

I've decided to order one car from Finescale and then if everything works out, order the remainder at a later date. Mr. Rose at Finescale said that that will deliver the car in December 2011 or January 2012.

I imagine that with Accucraft and Aster coming out with new Southern Pacific and Union Pacific locomotives in the next year or two, that there will be demand for suitable passenger cars.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
TBH, I don't think that Mr Rose will suddenly be rushed off his feet with orders at $1500 a pop. But hey, you never know!

There certainly are quite a few folks on this site for whom ordering a ten or fifteen car train from him would be like buying a Big Mac for the rest of you.

tac

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
there will be demand for suitable passenger cars
From what I hear, there's always been demand for suitable passenger and freight equipment to go with our lovely steam engines.

There was a thread recently where I suggested asking MTH to make some older heavyweights as an alternate to their streamliners. With a bit of coordination, we should be able to come up with an order for 100 cars at $200 each?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Posted By Pete Thornton on 17 Jun 2011 11:49 AM
From what I hear, there's always been demand for suitable passenger and freight equipment to go with our lovely steam engines.

There was a thread recently where I suggested asking MTH to make some older heavyweights as an alternate to their streamliners. With a bit of coordination, we should be able to come up with an order for 100 cars at $200 each? Now that's a good idea, and one I second. A set of CPR heavyweights behind my Royal Hudson at only $200 per car is a lot more achievable than the admittedly fine option, now that it seems that Aristocraft are not making them many more.

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/
POH101TLAS

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Posted By Pete Thornton on 17 Jun 2011 11:49 AM

There was a thread recently where I suggested asking MTH to make some older heavyweights as an alternate to their streamliners. With a bit of coordination, we should be able to come up with an order for 100 cars at $200 each?
Pete,
I'm not sure about your math.
I kind of think that that will not even begin to pay for the injection molds, even in China.
I would have to think that MTH only starts to produce in the thousands of shots per mold.
I may be wrong, and your idea is great if that is so.
Perhaps you have been in touch with Mike already.
All the best,

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Ah, there do not seem to actually BE any heavyweights of suitable style.....they would have to be started from nothing.

Hence the costs noted by Mr Leech.

Hmmmmm.

tac
www.ovgrs.org
POH101TLAS

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Posted By tacfoley on 18 Jun 2011 03:51 AM
Ah, there do not seem to actually BE any heavyweights of suitable style.....they would have to be started from nothing.

As did everything else in their product line, at some point. The question is, would they sell enough of them to make it worthwhile? Seems like a lot of us would buy them, myself included, but I can see how the appeal of 1:32 heavyweights beyond the live steam fraternity might be somewhat limited.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts