G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After waffling around on what to buy, agonizing over horrible exchange rates for a new Roundhouse loco. I stumbled across a RH Billy on the STiG website in the swap shop. It was advertised at $1000, which is about half of what they are new with the exchange rate. I emailed him, half expecting it to be already sold, but nope, he had it and it could be mine for $800!!! I couldnt email him back fast enough that it was sold. Its never been steamed, produced in 2001 so it should have the newer fuel tank for mixed gases. Billy is black in color, manual control. Exactly the way I like them. The only mods are going to be the crosshead/combination lever upgrade and a massive Darjeeling headlight for the front and cab roof. I need to get ahold of Royce for those bits. I need to deal with leveling a few grades on my small garden railway. Gonna go hunt down some chicken gritt to use as ballest at the local farm store tomorrow. Happy steaming everybody! Mike

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mike,

Congratulations on the new toy. I have a Katie and an Old Colonial. Great engines and will give you years of pleasure. Old Colonial is 23 years old but runs like new. Hang on to the Billy , you won't be sorry .

Charles M SA# 74

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the club. Don't forget what they say, "Nothing runs like a Roundhouse". I am however, slightly confused over your signature line: "If it aint RED......Leave it in the SHED!!! IH Power!"
My IH had a flathead green diamond in it. But you must be refering to what's on the outside. :confused: Then again, my cornbinder was built in 1943 and was painted olive drab green on the outside. :D

Sorry that got way off topic. Post some pix when you get Billie fired up!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife and I are into IH ag power. She has a Red Cub Cadet 782d diesel powered cub. Right now I am restoring 2 red wheel horse tractors. One will have a custom 3.8hp air cooled diesel in it. I hope to have a second 782d diesel cub someday. Mike

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Congrats on the RH, I was wondering where you found it, sounds like you got a real deal there.

A shame you gotta drag that red stuff out of the shed, my green one never has to go in there!

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
You will love it. Great engine and for it's size will pull like a mule. You just never hear about any problems with Roundhouse engines.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Successfull first steaming of my new long dorman RH Billy just now. I did the first steam up on blocks, spent the better part of an hour cleaning all the cigarette smoke residue off the paintwork, he is nice and shiny once again. I reoiled all the bearings and motion. He had indeed never been steamed since he left Doncaster as the steam oil was sealed and the dust on the wheel treads. He had added to extra dummy buffers on the front pilot beam, which looked quite hidious. I removed them, but owing to the epoxy he used, it took some paint with it. I have the front buffer beam off right now as I resprayed it with some nice red paint I happen to have. Even after the years of inactivity, Billy runs like a roundhouse, smooth as glass with full pressure. The only real running issue is the pressure gauge does not work! I tapped it several times while running on blocks, nothing. I removed it and once cooled off, I will blow out the line coming to the gauge and see what happens, might have to get a replacement. I got all the paperwork, the packet with all the extras from Roundhouse and the orignal sales reciept when he was bought new. He came from one of my favorite, but now closed, live steam dealers down in Florida. Billy came new from Bob and Fran O. at Rio Pecos. Bob set me up with a payment plan on the first live steamer I bought, an Aster London Transport Pannier Tank kit. Took me 1.5 yrs to pay it off, was quite the purchase for a 19yr old!! For what it cost, I wish I had gotten a RH loco back then, but I enjoyed it anyway. Now I come full circle and have what I should have gotten from Bob. I hope to have some track running pics later this evening. Cheers Mike

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Mike, during the 2nd weekend in August, they hold "FARM FEST" in Lake Crystal, MN. One of the events is a garden tractor pull. They have classes according to the HP of the garden tractor plus an unlimited class. One guy owned a red garden tractor, don't remember the make, but he had a Ford flathead engine installed. Needless to say, he outpulled everything...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kewl Bill, there are garden tractor pulls all over the place here in Indiana. My wife has a 782d diesel powered cub cadet, kubota engine, 3 cyliinder liquid cooled, 15hp. I have a 8-8spd wheel horse that is restored, as well as a 551 Suburban mid engine that is getting a custom air cooled diesel transplant soon. Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts