G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big shout out to Railroad Pony, a member on here who reached out as I was in search for a k27, and sold me his at a very fair price. The engine is mint with no run time. I know they are different gauges, but it really makes a GP38 look small!
Rectangle Train Gas Engineering Rolling

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Track Railway

Train Vehicle Rolling stock Rolling Railway

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Steam engine

Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Railway

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Plant

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sorry to break the news to you Diesel, but they are not only different gauges (36" vs 56.5"), but they are drastically different scales. The K27 is 1:20.3 vs the diesel at 1:29. If the diesel were at 1:20.3 it would dwarf that K27

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sadly, some people still don't seem to understand the difference between "Scale", and "Gauge", and how they are applied to models, and prototype equipment. Doing a bit of research, can do wonders, and can be a wonderful part of the hobby, of Model Railroading, be it in collecting, operating, or modelling.
Fred Mills

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes guys, I understand the difference. I was purely showing the difference in size. Just like you could between G or O, or G and HO, etc. Another awesome part of the hobby that makes it fun, is that people can do whatever they want and just have fun with their equipment. But ‘sadly’, there’s always the proto-police who chime in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes guys, I understand the difference. I was purely showing the difference in size. Just like you could between G or O, or G and HO, etc. Another awesome part of the hobby that makes it fun, is that people can do whatever they want and just have fun with their equipment. But ‘sadly’, there’s always the proto-police who chime in.
Hi there, great looking locomotive! I have one as well and enjoy watching them pull.

Just a friendly comment with an attempt to help; the folks above were reacting to the gauge comment "I know they are different gauges, but it really makes a GP38 look small!".

If you had adjusted it to say "I know they are different scales, but it really makes a GP38 look small!" then I don't think you would have seen the comments above.

Gauge is the space between the rails (e.g. 45MM)

Scale is as noted above the 1.20.3 vs 1:29

Because the K27 and the GP38 run on the same rail they are the same gauge but the GP38 is a scale of 1:29 while the K27 is a scale of 1.20.3 which means the K27 is much larger. The reason that the K27 is a different scale is because that prototype engine is a Narrow Gauge locomotive; aka the tracks are closer together on the prototype vs a prototype diesel like the GP38. To achieve the same look as the prototype, a K27 running on Gauge 1 track is much larger.

Hope this helps clarify terms, not trying to be a proto-police

·
Registered
742 Posts
Diesel, my apologies, there was not intent to be demeaning. I also own a Bachmann K27 I purchased in 2008. I have since installed AirWire R/C and batteries, and Phoenix PB11 sound card. I have also done some mechanical mods to make it a better loco. If you are interested here is a link to the electronics upgrades Major K27 overhaul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts