G Scale Model Train Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks Jack, now I'm gona have to start reading up on my Civil War history, can you recommend a good book for someone who has a basic understanding of the war and its principals, but is a little foggy on the dates and battles?
Rich
Thanks for your orders, I found this link that looks interesting
History of American Uniforms Indian wars 1866-1890 
Its a history of American Uniforms dating back to before independence. Man there were a lot of uniforms in the civil war. The above link shows your time period, and it looks like a civil war uniform might fit in there.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Rich -

Best single-volume history of the Civil War I've ever read (and I've read a lot!):

Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era (Oxford History of the United States) by James M. McPherson

- Jack

·
Registered
46 Posts
Richard,

An excellent source for military uniforms that's fairly inexpensive is: Osprey's Men at Arms series. They cover everything from the Seven Years War until today. There are several Civil War titles. Another excellent source is the Company of Military Historians. I have a 3 volume work on the horse soldier 1776-1943 by Randy Steffen.

I, too, used to be a reinactor, but with Company C, 1st U.S. Dragoons, circa 1845-47. They fought in the Battle of San Pasqual down here in San Diego County.

Tom Rey
San Diego

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Jack,

I just started to read this thread today and was fascinated by the fact that you are a Civil War re-enactor. You strike a great pose!  I am an addict about Civil War history. BTW, I am related to General Lewis Armistead, who as you know, was killed at Gettyburg during Pickett's charge. My son and I visit Civil War re-enactments as often as we can out here. My son has decided to join a re-enactors unit here in Southern California. Thanks for the tip on the book.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Gary -

Then you probably already know about how Lewis Armistead and Winfield Scott Hancock (as well as Albert Sidney Johnston) were stationed together at an army post in a small California pueblo called Los Angeles just before the war. They were great friends and accounts say that at a farewell party before leaving to join the Confederate army, Armistead told Hancock that if he should ever lift a hand against him in battle, "May God strike me dead."

Well, eventually, they did meet in battle (figuratively, not literally) in 1863 at Gettysburg.  While at the head of (the so-called) Pickett's Charge, Armistead, a brigade commander in Pickett's division, was mortally wounded just after Hancock ("The Superb" as he was known to his men,) commanding the Second Corps, took a wound in the groin that was serious, but not fatal. Sounds like a Hollywood script, but it's all true.

If your son is serious and would like to get into "hard core" reenacting, then I suggest he contact my old friend Scotty Harrington, commanding Co. C, 5th New York Vol.'s (Duryee's Zouaves) there in SoCal. Here's his particulars:

Phone: (714) 572-2513
E-mail: [email protected]

You also might like to check out their website: http://www.5nyzouave.org/  Probably the best Civil War reenacting outfit on the "Left Coast."

Good luck,

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Jack-

Thank you for the info about the New York Volunteers. My son said he is very interested and will be in touch with Scotty. My great-great aunt who died in 1965, at age 100, used to try to tell me stories about the General when I would stay with her as a kid. She was a history-english teacher. Of course, when you're a kid you never really listen too close. I wish I had known better then! The Los Angeles connection I never heard about before. Small world. My son came over to the house today and I gave him the info and e-mail address of your friend. BTW, he already has McPherson's book. Dad's are the last to know, I guess.:D

Tom-

Thank you for the info about the San Diego connection with the General. We've become a genealogical society. Very cool.:cool:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.