G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now we come to the most difficult stage of stage 3. Deciding whether to move on and create the mold, or starting over. Last night I decided to start over.
Probably one of the most difficult things a person can face when sculpting is admitting to yourself that a piece is weak, even though you have spent hours on them.
This one, is ok, but not good enough. It will be put aside and my new figure will hopefully be better.
I'll get some images up as soon as I am done with the new armature.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep, its too stocky, and the head is too big. Finally got hold of a good sized image of Lincoln standing and he is almost 8 heads high. The pic shows him standing next to two men. One is some sort of Union Officer and the other is a guy in a derby with a suit. They are standing on either side of Lincoln with their right hand stuffed in their lapels in a Napoleanic fashion. Lincoln towers over them by a good head, and while his hads are huge, his head is tiny.
I printed out a copy and tooks some dividers to it and was shocked by the proportions. Poor guy did not fit in the golden mean and that bent over look you are refering to was very obviously some sort of spinal disorder. Although he is standing erect, he is bent to his left a little as if gravity or a strong wind were holding him there.
I've just set up a blank, and to save time, I did him beardless and clotheless. I want to make a younger version of him leaning on his axe with rolled up sleeves, in Log splitter days.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the rough of my new lincoln:

I call him log splitter abe. 
The tan portions are resin. 
The grey is super sculpty and the white (except the axe) is regular sculpty.
The axe is carved from styrene.
I'm thinking of either casting the axe as whole (since it makes a great spru for the mold) or just the figure without the axe.
He still needs some refinment work on the hair
around the eyes
And cleaning up parts of the clothing and suspenders.

I casted a blank of him in that pose without the axe. 
without the hair
without the clothing
without the beard
with more flesh and less wrinkles with the intention of having a younger version and an older version.
I also got bored with sculpting him in his iconical suite and beard ;)

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next release Jim. I am picturing him in a pastoral sitting next to a bunch of logs and an old stump and a half cord of (scale cord) of split wood neatly stacked.
I'm thinking of a seated pose for the presidential look, so he can fit in one of my coaches.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif
Testing. I seem to have lost the ability to post images!

(Richard, you didn't do anything wrong, you must have posted this reply around the time Shad was doing some work on the system getting things setup and working for the return of the monthly photo contest, which is what caused your problem. I've corrected the code so everything is back to working, sorry for the inconvenience. SteveC mod.)

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Steve, I was worried I was suffering from alzheimers, and I'm only 54 /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bob,
I have the blank of this pose already made, so it won't be too hard to make him presidential. Look for it on my site in a couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Jack,
You are a movie star too! Cool. How about some pics of you in your civil war costume, standing at rest arms. I would like to see one front, one back and one on each side without the backpack and the same with the backpack.
I left the mole out on purpose. 1. It is one of the finer details that get dimensiones when you paint the figure and needs to be added back on any way. 2. If you put a mole and a beard like that on Alfred E Newman, everyone thinks its Lincoln.
I'm working on the stove pipe hat, but its not going to be easy. I've had a couple of failures because of lack of a clear image of his hat. Most of the images are very small and blurry.
I will release him as is, since he will be good for standing on a coach or in the oval office. He won't be able to go outside till I get the hat finished is all.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Rich,
I am offering hats now from my site. The selection is small though and no cowboy hats persay. But one of the fedoras could pass as a stetson

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks Jack, I have that image and the rest from that site already, but they just don't tell me much about the hat.
Also, I'm planning on some civil war soldiers and am in the process of researching their uniforms. I found a lot of grainy images from that site you mentioned and others on the internet, but what I lack is good closeups of a civil war soldier in the same pose front, back and sides. If you could take some time to don your uniform and have someone walk around you taking pictures while you are standing at ease with your rifle at rest, with and without a pack, then with a pack, you will be rewarded with a 5 free unpainted copies of the end product.
I have an old 1864 springfield rifle, but no colt side arm or the holster and pouches. Some good shots of that would also be appreciated and some shots of the soles of the boots from the bottom. I've just been making guesses about boot design.
Then I can get that cannon from Ozark minitures and have a great civil war diaorama for my layout. I'll have Lincoln reviewing the troops ;)

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Not sure I remember my marshall of arms right, but I think the stance is rest arms?
The soldier has rifle at his side tilted forward,
The muzzle is in his right hand which is extended slightly to hold the weapon,
His feet are apart,
His left hand is held at the small of his back,
His eyes are straight ahead,
Was that a stance used in the civil war?
Wasn't going to do a likeness of anyone on this piece though. For the first time I was going to do a generic face so that it could be modify slightly with paint or putty and give the impression of having a lot of different individuals when in deed it is really just one figure. (Hope that makes sense)
I will be doing some likeness of some of the commissioned officers though, especially my two favorites for the union Sherman and Grant and my one favorite for the south Lee.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Jack,
That would be excellent. I was afraid the parade rest wastn't used at that time. Good thing there is a civil war expert on hand to consult :D

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Jack,
Was Texas part of the United states then? I thought they didn't become an official state till later in the 19th century.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess I'm thinking of California.
Don't worry, I'm doing so rebs and general Lee as well, and maybe Jefferson Daivs.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Thanks Jack, now I'm gona have to start reading up on my Civil War history, can you recommend a good book for someone who has a basic understanding of the war and its principals, but is a little foggy on the dates and battles?
Rich
Thanks for your orders, I found this link that looks interesting
History of American Uniforms Indian wars 1866-1890 
Its a history of American Uniforms dating back to before independence. Man there were a lot of uniforms in the civil war. The above link shows your time period, and it looks like a civil war uniform might fit in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.