G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a G-scale Silo like the kind you find on a mid-western Farm? I'm not much at scratch building, and was hoping to find a kit or something.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Piko makes a grain silo kit (actually a few kits to comprise all the buildings.)

It will be a few hundred dollars to get all the kits, and these are some of the easiest structures to scratch build - they are just tubes with some detail.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Piko makes a grain silo kit (actually a few kits to comprise all the buildings.)

It will be a few hundred dollars to get all the kits, and these are some of the easiest structures to scratch build - they are just tubes with some detail.
Yea, I did see someone who scratch built one from PCV and it looked good, but I don't know where he got the ladder he put going up the side, or some of the other finer detailing parts, and it is in O-gauge not G.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Also, scratch building is not an all-or-nothing proposition.

For example, you could make the towers from plastic pipe, empty paint cans, rolled sheet metal, whatever is handy and results in the right size for your railway.

Then use off the shelf hobby components to make stairs, hand rails, etc.

The great thing about large scale is it's usually practical to simply replicate prototypical construction practices. So, in effect you wouldn't really be scratch building, but constructing a small silo.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I don't know of a kit, but a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe would be a good start. Silos appear to be whatever size is needd, so who's to say YOURS is out of scale.

The amount of detail you add can depend on where it is on your layout (up front, way in back) and what era. A really old abandoned one will have lost most of its details.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know of a kit, but a 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe would be a good start. Silos appear to be whatever size is needd, so who's to say YOURS is out of scale.

The amount of detail you add can depend on where it is on your layout (up front, way in back) and what era. A really old abandoned one will have lost most of its details.
Actually I do have somewhat of a size consideration since the silo is to go with a Piko Barn kit. The barn is 16" high, so the Silo should be around 18" to 20" to look appropriate with it.

I think it was kinda stupid of Piko to make a barn kit that didn't include a Silo!

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
In half inch to the foot scale, a five inch pipe would be ten feet in diameter. Six inches would be 12 feet. Cut a section about 12 - 15 inches and that'll give you a good size silo.

Actually if you cut it tw 20 inches, then you could bury a part of it in the dirt to be more stable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At 15" the silo would be shorter than the top of the barn. Can't have that! 20" sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
I just went googling for silo heights..they are all over the map! ;)
30 to 70 feet generally..50 to 60 foot seems typical.

But for modeling purposes, most people want that classic small-town early to mid 20th century US farm look..with a small barn, and the silo just slightly taller than the barn..photos:

http://tinyurl.com/ktcop8s

Here is an N-scale model with dimensions:

http://www.laserkit.com/new2.htm

That scales out to:

Prototype barn height: 43 feet.
Prototype silo height: 60 feet.

1/20.3 scale:
barn: 25"
silo: 35"

1/24 scale:
Barn: 22"
Silo: 30"