G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to build a Stave Farm Silo from a 4" PCV pipe. This makes it perfect scale size in G-Scale; however I'm having trouble finding a good dome for the top. I was thinking a white plastic ball cut in half or something.....but I can't fine anything in the right size to perfectly fit over the top of the 4" pipe.

Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Doctor Z,
Have a look at the Plastruct catalogue online - Pipes and Fittings
They do domes, hemispherical, elliptical and dished, in 1/4" increments right up to 6".
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Take a look at a prototype silo and determine how it was made and then replicate that in miniature. A domed roof is probably sheet metal panels bent, so not a true hemispherical shape, but rather an assembly of pie-shaped wedges bent in one dimension only (a shape much easier to form.)

Note, they are not true "pie" shapes, as that would form a cone. The long legs are curved.

Cut paper wedges and tape together until you have the shape. Then copy in metal and solder together.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You can buy a foam ball at an Arts store (e.g., Michaels) and work that to size/shape you need, then coat it to seal the foam.

Take your PVC with you and find what works best/easiest.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Purchase a plastic funnel with a diameter slightly larger than the pipe diameter . Cut off the pointed end where it begins to flare out. Cover with triangle sections cut from a pop can. This will give you a realistic roof for stave silos constructed prior to about 1950. Newer stave silos had a bulbulus roof which could be represented by an plastic or rubber ball cut in half.

Dale

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Just be aware..your desired 4" diameter silo is really a bit small for "G scale"..
and the one in the link above is only 13" high..also a bit short..
(Its intended to be a 1/64 scale model of a rather large silo)
but I guess it depends on what barn you are going to place it next to..
recent discussion about silos:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/14-buildings/36978-farm-silo.html

(this thread should probably be merged with the other one..no need to have two separate threads on the same topic)

Scot

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
check toilet floats, some have neat patterns for structural strength...

John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just be aware..your desired 4" diameter silo is really a bit small for "G scale"..
and the one in the link above is only 13" high..also a bit short..
(Its intended to be a 1/64 scale model of a rather large silo)
but I guess it depends on what barn you are going to place it next to..
recent discussion about silos:

http://forums.mylargescale.com/14-buildings/36978-farm-silo.html

(this thread should probably be merged with the other one..no need to have two separate threads on the same topic)

Scot
Well a 4" silo = 10' inside diameter in G-scale. According to the schematics I found for Stave Silos most were 10' inside diameter, and between 40' and 60' tall. That means I need a 4" x 20" silo, which would be 10' x 50' scale size, for my Piko Barn Kit, which is 16" tall.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Those are O scale silos, and I'm modeling in G-scale. I'd love to find the silo in 1/29th, but no one makes one.
I know..(actually, they said they are s-scale)..but as I think you already figured out, the exact scale is irrelevant! ;) (or can be irrelevant, in a case like this, if you want it to be..)

An S-scale model of large silo can become a G-scale model of a smaller silo..
the model size doesn't change, only the prototype size changes.
you might just have to change some details, pipes and such, to make them more scale-specific.

Scot

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know..(actually, they said they are s-scale)..but as I think you already figured out, the exact scale is irrelevant! ;) (or can be irrelevant, in a case like this, if you want it to be..)

An S-scale model of large silo can become a G-scale model of a smaller silo..
the model size doesn't change, only the prototype size changes.
you might just have to change some details, pipes and such, to make them more scale-specific.

Scot
If it was for a factory or elevator scene I would agree with you, but it's to be mated with the Piko Barn, so it must be prototypical to the barn's size. I just can't understand why Piko would make an American Barn without a Silo? Probably because Piko specializes in European designs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.