G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I think if I had to pick one website that was the most influential in getting me into live steam, it would have to be... Ebay!

It was while I was looking for brass trains on Ebay that I first learned about the Accucraft Ruby, which made me realize that perhaps live steam could be within my reach on my limited budget. From there of course I had to check out the Accucraft website, drawn in by the Ruby but immediately mesmerized at the sight of the live steam K-27! That's when I began searching for more online resources about gauge 1 live steam and found Steam in the Garden and MLS. My first live steam engine was also an Ebay purchase, an Accucraft C-16 bumble bee that I really didn't expect to win. I put in a lowball bid just for the fun of it, so I could say I had it for about 5 minutes before somebody outbid me, but when the auction ended I was still the high bidder and had to scramble to come up with the money. I never regretted that purchase though. It was also Ebay that enabled me to fund my live steam hobby by selling off my smaller scale trains, and eventually selling off that C-16 so that I could finally buy that prized K-27 (also an online purchase but that was through a dealer, not Ebay).

Without the internet, my only exposure to live steam had either been of the scratchbuilt variety (taking years to build with skills and tools that I don't have), or high-end Asters far beyond my price range. I would have most likely carried on in the smaller scales never believing that live steam was a possibility for me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts