G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were going to make  fake rocks for a  canyon  do you think it is better to dye the  concretemix or   paint it later?

I am going to use a mixture of  stucco mix with  portland cement mix.   Do you think I should dye the mix or just put it on and use  outdoor paint later.? 

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
JJ,
I'd start with dye in the mix, and then touch up the accents with paint...

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Another way JJ is to have a sprayer bottle full of Ferrous Oxide (Azalea plant food)  on hand, and when the mortar mix starts to go off, spray it on . It will look green at first, but will dry to a sandy red. It will look garish at first, but weathers down.
Rod

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Ummmmm....... Errr.... Ron, please explain 'goes off'. :)

Craig

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Craig when the mortar/cement starts to harden up. I suppose it depends on the temperature where you are/ here i would leave it for about 3 or 4 hours. Although I have left it longer.
I t will give an over all cover, then you can go back and highlight with other  mediums.
Rod.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Tod 
Thanks for the Pic's   They are a really great help.   You  gave me a couple Ideas with your rocks.   They look great.   I am inspired/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
JJ,
First put dye in the concrete, then use some flat tan, green, brown, and black to add interest.  Here is a fake rock I have.  

Embankment with concrete.
JimC.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By John J on 05/27/2008 9:37 PM
Hey Tod 
Thanks for the Pic's   They are a really great help.   You  gave me a couple Ideas with your rocks.   They look great.   I am inspired/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Thanks.  In addition to the colors mentions, I use various greys and  I use red primer to match the red lava.  I also paint the real lava to blend it.  This shows after it weathers somewhat.  I usually give it a shot of color every few years.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Richard.
Real rocs is  what I am doing.   Except in some places I need  a long sting of rocks  like  in Tod's pic's   Home depot  only had   Red  Tan  brown Dye

Lowes had  a whole bunch of color dye.   So I bought  two bags of everything  from both places.   I am going to experiment mixing color t his weekend.

It's a shame they just dont have  Red Blue Yellow and Black dye...It would be much easier for me ( working in the printing industry) to  mix the exact color I want.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By John J on 05/28/2008 7:51 PM
Hey Richard.
Real rocs is  what I am doing.   Except in some places I need  a long sting of rocks  like  in Tod's pic's  

To do the ridgeline, I used a hand spade to cut the existing slope to a verticle slope.  I then pounded stakes into the ground along the ridge and attached 1/2" wire mesh to the stakes.  I left about 1" between the soil and mesh and after mixing dye into mortar mix, scooped it into the space between the hill and the mesh.

I held crinkled up aluminum foil up to the outside of the mesh and let the mix squeeze through the holes into the crinkled foil.  Make sure the mesh is covered and let it dry for a bit and pull the foil off.  In some areas the foil may pull away some of your mortar leaving a rought finish, but this makes the most natural looking rock.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Teee heeee Teee Heee  

I am off  to Cosco to  get  Industrial  Resturant  Foil.    The heavy stuff.  

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
John i read a article about using alum foil and the writer said he spryed the foil with a cooking spray like pam before placing it over the cement. We are going to try and make some mts this summer on our layout useing the chicken wire method with strips of burlap soaked in the cement mixture. Then you apply morter over the burlap and do your molding as the morter starts to setup. Say what you are going to do and doing it are one thing but doing it is another anyway we are going to attemp to make some mts and fake rock walls. Good luck with your project/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Tj we started our fake rock wall this morning. we put down some chicken wire covered it with burlap soaked in gulapata. Gulapata is a mixture of ready mix mortar,fire clay,hydrated lime and portland cement it is a mixture that i read about in garden railway mag. Jack Verducci wrote the article.We only had time to do about four or five ft. If the weather holds out we will try to do the sculpting tomorrow. We are taking pictures of our progress and as soon as i learn how to post them i will show what we are doing. PS my back is killing me and we have just started.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Pete,

> Tj we started our fake rock wall this morning

CONGRATULATIONS! Getting started is most important step in any Large Scale project. I'm familiar with Jack's "gulapata" although I've not worked with it myself. Since in my area plastic cement is readily available I decided to stick with that and forgo having to mix different stuff together.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your progress!

Best,
TJ

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Well we worked on the base coat that being we finished putting the burlap soaked in the gulapata the one problem that i ran into was that the amount of ingredients that he used was on a large scale. By that i mean he used 60lbs of mortar mix with the other ingredients. I was making the gulapata in a very small amount compared to how much jack made in one batch there for i had to guess ah mate how much of the different ingredients to mix together. Tomorrow will tell what i end up with.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Pete,

> the one problem that i ran into was that the amount of ingredients that he used was on a large scale

Yah, that was my problem with Jack's method. I found Gary's method easier but for that you need plastic cement and it's not available in all areas of the country.

Good luck! Looking forward to your posting pictures of your efforts.

best,
TJ

1 - 20 of 49 Posts