G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Doug, Your Nuts! Crackers! a few fries short of a Happy Meal!

Spectacular model BTW!

·
Registered
350 Posts
If Dave or Tony are on here, how many batteries could you put in that tender, wired in parallel of course?

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
What an awesome locomotive!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif When I saw the K-27 next to it I was flabbergasted! I knew that standard gauge engines made narrow gauge engines look small but I didn't realize just how much!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steve

Good Morning.  You really don't apperaciate the size difference between Standard and Narrow Gauge engines until you them side by side.  It still takes my breath away when i see them side by side and i am working with these beasts every day.   I will be a happy man when the last rivet goes into the last tender and boiler.  just counting rivets there are about 1500 rivets in the boiler and firebox sides and 1700 in the tender and each is applied one at a time!

Have a great day and thanks 

Doug Hemmeter 

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow, that's a real monster.  I thought going to Fn3 scale was big. As someone else said, you can't really appreciate how big standard gauge locos are until you put them beside a narrow gauge loco. 
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that Doug has a username, he can probably post or comment on this, but here's the scoop if you want one of your very own.

Thanks for posting the photos on Mylargescale. For your info we are building four 4-8-4 Northern’s for Gary Bartlow in San Diego. And three are for sale. Minimum radius is 15 feet. All are battery powered, air wire 900 remote control, Phoenix Sound with 2 speakers and Train America Smoke generators. All axles except for the pilot truck have ball bearings and the rods will have ball bearings. 1801 will be the first up and running. 1802, 1803 and 1804 will follow close behind.

Note: three are for sale. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif  Gary's email is gwbartlow(at)cox.net if you want one.;)

And as far as being big, it's only half the size of a 1" scale loco.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Pete,

If there was a boiler and cylinders in it, I'd have to buy a riding car and take it up to PLS to run on the multi gauge! I;m glad that it is a small-ish northern! Imagine a FEF-3 or CB&Q O-5a! I think I'd need a hydraulic lift just to get it on the rails....I'll stick with 1:32...all you Fn3 guys should go to 32mm scale....it's quaint and less bulk (I can't widen our portable anymore, no more room!) ;)

Doug
Wonderful craftsmanship and gorgeous looking engine. Kudos on getting this far and pioneering the new-old scale of 1:20.32.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
What a project! And what a great job you are doing on it. Got me so inspired, I went over to the shop and put the floor in my 1/20.3 standard gauge B50-14 boxcar. Somehow I don't ever expect to see this beast going around anyone's Christmas tree.

John

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Posted By rkapuaala on 01/10/2008 6:12 PM
Is the track also a standard width in 1:20.3?

Yes - 4'  8 1/2".  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif  

Reading between the lines, I guess you mean is there a 'standard' for the track?  Well, yes, it's (56.5/20.3 = 2.78") or roughly 71mm.  
We use that ".3" because we F-scale guys are serious rivet counters.  Doug says there's about 3,000 on the firebox side panels, but we wish he'd count them and check the head size.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

Dave Queener did the initial work on track, rail and wheel standards, based on the G1MRA experience.  His website has the details.

Cumberland Model Engineering F Scale Standards

1 - 20 of 73 Posts