G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone I just bought some metal wheels and can not figure out how to get the plastic wheel out to put the metal wheel in without pushing on the plastic base. I know this is probably the wrong way and there is a much easier way. If you can please give me a little guidance I would really appreciate it. Thanks Jeff

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
it depends on what truck you are working on but mostly you just very gently pry open the truck with your fingers until one side of the wheelset drops out .......

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Yes, most you can gently force apart with a slight twisting motion to get the old ones out and new ones in. Aristo roller bearing trucks are one of the exceptions.

-Brian

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I did get them to work I just wanted to make sure that was the way to get them through. I just thought the plastic felt a little more flimsy that it would break. It finally worked.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
Jeff,

The plastic used in most of the trucks is flexible 'engineering' plastic - very tough and almost impossible to break, yet flexible enough to allow the wheels some latitude to deal with rough track.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys that was helpful it gave me the intestinal fortitude to know that I wasn't missing anything. I was worried I was missing something easy. My 4 year old daughter would have went nuts if her bubble yum box car broke when I was trying to do this. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer my question

1 - 6 of 6 Posts