G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a set of written instructions on timing a Edrig. They are not exactly like a Ruby. Accucraft site only has Ruby timing instructions which do not work on the Edrig or at least not mine. Any information appreciated.
Posted this then saw I spelled Edrig wrong.....to late at night and way past my bedtime.
Thanks,
Noel

·
Registered
210 Posts
Noel,

I can give you a starting point for Edrig. I have one and went and looked at how the eccentric was set on mine. Mine runs like a top , so I can assume that it is spot on.

1. Place Edrig on his left side tank.
2 Set the main rod connecting the drivers at the bottom position. That is parallel to the frame member , it is the classic rods
down position you see in builders photos.
3 Take a look at the single eccentric position on the axle. On my locomotive the eccentric has 2 set screws to lock it in postion. One
set screw is pointing straight back toward ther rear of the locomotive, even with the bottom retainer plate. The other screw is just
forward of the axle when you look at the bottom of the locomotive. A 9:00 o'clock and a 5:30 position on the axle if you think of
it in clock face terms.

This should get it into the correct position. It is very rare that an Edrig doesn't run right out of the box. On the overseas forums I
have not heard of one not being set correctly at the factory. They have had burner problems, usually caused by a wad of paper in
jet housing. They do require a little run in time , 4 to 8 hours , but they run very nicely. Mine hauls a 14 car train with no problems
in Denver.

Hope this helps.

Charles M SA # 74

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Charles,
Mine is second hand and ran well in forward but not at all in reverse. I had a leaking right cylinder between the valve chest and cylinder. Tore it all down and repaired it. Reassembled and fired up last night. OK in fwd but not reverse. Reset the reversing valve according to Ruby valve setting techniques. Now nothing. Will let you know how it goes with your instructions. Appreciate it very much.
Noel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts