G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest version of Firefox (released a couple days ago) crashes when going into post topic and the full reply.  I'm looking into this.  In the mean time, don't upgrade firefox..

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Greg

Only if you leave it set to do that (i.e. that's the default setting on installation), however, personally in all software that I have installed on my system I always set it to manual updating. I have encountered way to many problems that took way to much time to track down the cause of, only to find out it was caused by auto-updating, which allowed a change in the system to be made with out my knowing it.

There are few if anything that I dislike more about computers than the "User Friendly" and "Transparent to the user" mind-sets.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Shad:

Thanks for the heads up!

I got the upgrade notice, but have both my computers set to only allow manual upgrades. Haven't downloaded it yet.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Since I normally use Firefox as my default browser, I've had trouble putting up posts the past couple of days - & I usually DO recommended upgrades, just from a security standpoint.  Might try doing a post over the weekend using IE instead.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is no longer an issue as I have disabled the rich text editor that was causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
OK, That one did - but this follow-up one DIDN'T (at least first try!)

Shad, I think the "Smileys" may be causing problems as well; I had about a half-dozen in the first attempt at THIS post & it hung first try! Interesting that you disabled the rich text editor; I tried doing a fairly lengthy post with about a half-dozen pictures the last couple of days, & it it continually hung when I tried to "submit" it. This was happening with BOTH Firefox & Internet Explorer 7! I'll try resubmitting the long post (look for it under "Rolling Stock", some wiring improvements to the Bachmann 3-truck Shay). Hope it works this time!

Tom

·
Super Modulator
21,004 Posts
I think it was established that there is a maximum number of pictures per post, and I seem to remember it was 5.
How about trying with fewer pictures and no smileys Tom? That way if there is a problem, we can help Shad isolate it.
Regards, Greg

edit: Shad has a post with 9 pictures, so the limit is at least 9, he used the [ img ] bbs tags.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By steamlogger on 03/30/2008 1:26 PM

«snip...» It does have problems with the page width. Even with no large photos this page is wider than my 1024 width screen setting.
That's because some times people use the space bar to move to the next line or the second line instead of using the Enter/Return key, and when they do that a very wide display is what you wind up with. Anyway, I've deleted the space characters and the topic should be back to a normal display width. :D

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Firefox released an update this week that appears to have resolved this issue which was also happening in the private messages pages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my ie6 crashes on microsoft pages such as hotmail so i use firefox because its a con for u to download ie7 wich is a piece of ****

1 - 18 of 18 Posts