G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I admit it: I own several Bachmann figures including the goofy-looking handcar operator with the articulated arms. You know, the guy with the brown derby. Anyway, I'm looking at the photo of Bob Brown's garden railway on the cover of the latest GR and who do I see lurking in the background? The brown derby guy. Now I can see me using this dude, 'cause I'm just a schlub modeler. But on this layout? On the cover? C'mon, master modelers. With all the great figures out there, why use the Bachmann dude? Or is there a conspiracy at work here? :)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Because he was already in the junkbox? It's often easier (and MUCH cheaper) to adapt and/or re-use what you HAVE on hand than spend hours searching for or making a nicer one. I have 3 B'mann figures that I remember, about 8 of those boring ones that came with LGB the sets, and even one of those stoned looking Aristo engineer fellows on my very small layout. Cut away some details, add others, re-pose, or even do a Frankenstein and cut 3 up to make 2 that look different, then repaint....

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Don't point the finger at me! I make all my own and purchase the Supply line and Fine folks figures religously :)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I have a couple Bachmen somewhere in a box. Like R, I make mine. Unlike R, mine aren't high art

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I think you'll find that since there was never an exact prototype of "artiulated handcar operator, male" built, that your comments will be taken as "Bashing" if they don't talk about how splendiferous it is. Be prepared for a firestorm....

In their defense, though, those do make excellent "doorway testers" if you don't want to risk scratching up one of your good figures (Like Richard makes....)

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will say that at one time I had one of my brown derby dudes holding a wrench in his hand, while standing over a Hubley Model A with its hood raised. Now if I were any good at figure bashing, I'd raise the guy's middle digit in a salute to people like me who whine.

Of course, Richard's figures are in a league of their own.

And Bob Brown's layout ain't too bad either.

Next: Bachmann's emaciated engineer, the one who comes glued into the cab of nearly every loco they make. C'mon Lee, spend a few bucks on a new hogger!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Bachmann has announced a new line of HO and O scale figures in the SceneScapes product line. Who knows- if they sell well can G be far behind?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi,

What´s wrong with the Bachmann figures. After all they are more or less in 1 : 20, rather cheap and good candiidates for bashing

Have Fun

Fritz / Juergen

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Garret, aren't you worried he'll kill all the other figures after he finishes your milk shake?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
For a while there, they were just about the only figures available in a true 1:20.3 size. I still think that if you take the trouble to repaint them a little, they can look pretty good... from a distance, anyway. Case in point:

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By rkapuaala on 03/12/2009 11:02 AM
Garret, aren't you worried he'll kill all the other figures after he finishes your milk shake?

True, that would involve some sort of large scale bowling alley however?

However, the Lego movie guys have been having real fun with this one.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq9wyKVDJt0

Edit, apparently we cannot embed video anymore?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jack, as always your handiwork is tops and you have made those figures quite acceptable. But to quote our esteemed president, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but..." :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I make most of my figures using the Chris Wales method. But I also have about 10 of the Bachmann figures that I have modifed and repainted. I shop garage sales for small action figures. There are a lot of jointed military figures that are good for 1:20.3 size. I can usually pick them up for less than 25cents each. The only trouble is they are all muscular men. Not a whimp in the bunch and of course no women or children. But for the price you can't go wrong.

Big John

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi,

I simply bought a set of ten, etched in brass or nickel silver, from a German firm called Perfect Line.

Have Fun

Fritz / Juergen

1 - 20 of 20 Posts