G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When going to the different meets that I attend, I always wanted carrying cases for the different engines that I have. After I completed the conversion of my K-37 to Airwire I figured this was a good place to start. Looking at the cases that (our own) Jack Thompson built for his engines and a few others that I saw, I used some their ideas to incorporate into mine.

The engine and tender is 40” in length and has a weight of 37½ lbs. Using materials that could reduce the weight of the carrying case was important. After doing some research on the Internet. I found some tables that showed different building materials and what their weight is per square foot. Aluminum became the material of choice.

I always try to build things using the K.I.S.S. method. Building the case as a ramp seemed to be the easiest way to go. I had a local machine shop cut and bend the 1/16” aluminum sheet to the size that I needed. After all said and done the case weighed in at 18 lbs complete.

Engine ready to be loaded.

Track is 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum screwed to floor.

1-1/2" aluminum angle cut with notches, makes the ramp.

Engine loaded, ready to be secured.

Foam sides are pushed in, then held in place with wedges.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi Ken,

Nice job on the loco case. I like your KISS idea, I need to make one for my K27. Thanks for posting.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Hey Ken!
How do you like the BIG YAWN you got on this one. To see the case in person is worth a thousand pictures. Trying to locate someone to bent the Al. over here in Elkton. Need to find a gutter guy with a big brake.
N

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Noel, look for a roofing outfit that specializes in metal roofing. The one near me not only had the shear and brake capacity (mine only go to 12"), but also had some 1/16" 5052 aluminum in stock. One stop shopping.

Larry

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I think I'd need to make one that's bent as the Botanical only has curved track where you can access it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matt:

Had a local sign shop cut the logo and numbers out of vinyl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts