G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Well, the old "crossed ties" method is quick and easy.  Just a couple pieces of scrap wood and a brad.  Holds well with or without ballast, easily removed...etc.

Dawg :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great ideas. dave that one shown in that link is super cool. and that cross tie isnt bad either.gets the job done.

thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Can a mallet remove bumpers clamped to the rail? In an instant!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
If  there is a chance you might be interested in wheel stops, Tomar makes some in nice cast metal.  I bought several and have been quite happy with them.  They are inexpensive enough that it is not worth my time to make them.
http://www.tomarindustries.com/gs.htm

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
“Temporary?” end of track devices in Craig Leigh freight yard.

If they are still there this year, they should be painted black.

Note the notched and bent rail in the center. This is a cheap and easy end of rail device.

Aristo-Craft also make a track bumper.

On the IPP&W the lantern was removed (no track power) and the bumper painted safety yellow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
these are great ideas. ive seen the ones that are manufactured by various companys but was just interested in making a few myself. what would a bumper of 1980s to today look like? i wouldnt think they would still be mabe of wood ties, but then again those bumpers probably lasted along time. just wanted a modern look to mine. thanks again guys.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Paul Birch-

When I go to the website for "Tomarin" they only list "o" guage bumpers. Is that what you use? How do you use them?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
The link is correct. It's their item G-803.  I first got onto them from an ad in Garden Railways. There is a current ad for them in the February issue on page 121.  The ad lists them at $4.00 per pair, but the catalog says $4.20.

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
I made these from some scraps.   I use a deck screw to hold them in place.

I put a dark stain over them.   They hold up well outside and are strong enough to act as true bumpers.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By CCSII on 01/17/2008 9:57 AM
Paul Birch-

When I go to the website for "Tomarin" they only list "o" guage bumpers. Is that what you use? How do you use them?

The item description states that they will fit LGB track. ;)

Bruce, those are really neat, mind if I steal them?/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Senior JOAT
736 Posts
Vic,
Steal?   No such thing - I put that up to share and inspire!   Let it serve as a basis for something better.  :)     The cool thing is that I can knock one out in just a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts