G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This coming saturday is scheduled as our second to last ops session for the 2008 season. It seems to have rained almost every saturday but the forecast for this saturday is sunny with the temp just around freezing for our early morning start. Can you believe ... snow flurries forecast for sunday though with the ground not yet frozen it is way too early for snow on the ground.

The following weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving making our last ops session the saturday after Thanksgiving, weather permitting.

I know you guys on the west coast run in all weather but I like to think we just have more sense than to stand around outside when the temps are well below the freezing mark.

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Doug, it was 102 in Pasadena yesterday, high 90's today.

Winter doesnt mark the end of the season for us, it marks the high season, when temps arent so blistering hot to be outdoors. so just think of us in SoCal as like Australia, our seasons are reversed.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Doug
We too make T-day the season finale but that is not unitl November, so still have some more weekends to enjoy the hobby prior to the various indoor steamups.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Doug
All you have to do is have the Canadian goverment move T day into november which will cause the winter to start later in the year. Everybody know winter don't start till after T Day. That would give you more run time.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
In Florida we look forward to this time of year. Temps are cooler, the humidity is down, and the hurricanes are just about over. I can now clean up my layout and put the buildings out since I don't have to worry about a tree falling in a storm. Oh yes, our daily monsson rains are also over.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Dougald on 10/01/2008 6:10 AM
This coming saturday is scheduled as our second to last ops session for the 2008 season. It seems to have rained almost every saturday but the forecast for this saturday is sunny with the temp just around freezing for our early morning start. Can you believe ... snow flurries forecast for sunday though with the ground not yet frozen it is way too early for snow on the ground.

The following weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving making our last ops session the saturday after Thanksgiving, weather permitting.

I know you guys on the west coast run in all weather but I like to think we just have more sense than to stand around outside when the temps are well below the freezing mark.

Regards ... Doug

There is no way I could continue running my outdoor railroad until American Thanksgiving. Sometimes I can run it as late as mid-October but that is about it. At that point the temps here rarely climb above freezing. However this year we have already had one good snowstorm two days ago with another forecast to hit us this afternoon. Plenty of snow remains on the ground from that first storm and my elevated tracks remain covered in snow and ice. Thus, it appears likely that my operations are over for the season. I'd like to see those guys on the west coast run in all weather up here !

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Posted By Dougald on 10/01/2008 6:10 AM

Regards ... Doug

Actually, I brought all the structures in for the winter last week. They go out again in April/May. This is due to the extremely powerful Santa Ana winds that whip through our yard. (They don't call the city Santa Ana for nothing.) I can still run trains all year, but when they get to their destinations, there is nothing there to serve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts