G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents (and Gals, if applicable)

I need to find out where I can find a suitable fuel, by 11:30 CST -- which is 1 hour from this posting. There is a live steam exhibit downtown, and they have run out of fuel -- and they are NOT live steamers at all (don't get me started on this. I may post on this later), and they called me, as I assisted them last week in getting their engines running.

I have heard of using SLX, Sunnyside Denatured Alky.  Are both suitable choices for the steamers?  I will be leaving in about an hour to go shopping, and would like to reduce the amount of money I spend in "Experimenting" fuels.

Mike 

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I get mine at Home Depot. I use SLX denatured in the blue and red can.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
As far as I know, any denatured alcohol should work fine.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Even pure Ethyl Alcohol will work (non-denatured) but it is kinda expensive and you run the risk of someones ire for buring the drinking kind. Lots of folk (me included) say that SLX is the "best", but any denatured alcohol will work.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
SLX Denatured from Home Depot works great. One hour?, you better get going dude.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, guys. I stopped by Lowes and picked up SLX...only to find that someone had found a source of methanol already. Oh well.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts