G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Posted this in the Public Forum to start with.

The past three days I have been getting 15-20 emails a day every time someone posts in any of the forums.

I am having to delete all these things and it is getting irritating.

I have gone into My Profile and checked the box and updated but they continue to come.

First of all, I had never gone to My Profile for months so I do not understand why this started in the first place.

But I am now asking one of the moderators to please fix it.

If I want to read posts I will come to this site to do it. I do not want them appearing in my Email Inbox where I have to delete them.

Thank you

John

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I hope you meant 'UN-checked' the box.

I also doubt that you'd get ONLY 15 to 20 messsage per day if that box were checked. Sorry I could not help you more, but this seems to be something that one of the moderators or Shad will have to investigate further and fix for you.

·
Super Modulator
21,050 Posts
You can accidentally check the box on each thread when visiting it... notice the check box right under the: "subject:" words in the upper (not extreme) left of this page?

You might accidentally be checking it, look for it and make sure...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By jbwilcox on 01/12/2009 2:29 PM
I have gone into My Profile and checked the box and updated but they continue to come.

John

I don't have the faintest idea what caused the eMail notification of posting to start in the first place.

However, as far as I know the only person that can access your Forum Profile is you, the moderators can't, and I don't believe Shad can either unless you provide him your password.

In your statement above, you didn't happen to mention just which profile you went into.
[*] Account Profile: accessed via the Members menu > Manage account or...
[*] Forum Profile: accessed via the Forum Tool-bar located below the green area at the top of most MLS web pages, via the My Profile > Profile Tab > Edit Profile link
[*] If you accessed this profile and then placed a check-mark in the check box labeled Subscribe to Topics: then each topic that you open will have the Email me when someone replies to this thread.[/i] check box automatically set (i.e. check-mark in the check box). To stop the topic from being automatically subscribed to you need to clear the check-mark from the check box labeled Subscribe to Topics: on your Forum Profile page.
[/list] [*] All topics that you've been subscribed to will be listed on the Subscriptions Tab in the opening Forum Profile screen. To unsubscribe you must clear the check-mark in the check box associated with each topic listed.
[/list] If you've already checked the above and are still encountering the problem, then I would suggest that you send Shad either an eMail or a Private Message, and make him aware of what's happening.

·
Administrator
5,715 Posts
John - I looked into it... checking your profile under Subscriptions, it seems you are subscribed to the Public Forum, so any time anyone posts anywhere in the Public Forum, you'll get an email.

I don't have the server access to correct this for you, but go to the Main Forums Page (not Active Topics), then click on the Public Forum. You should see the following...

Note the checkbox and line I have circled in red... Email me when someone posts to this forum. Uncheck that box and your problem should be solved.

BTW, every forum has this feature. Unfortunately, the checkbox is pretty close to the Add New Topic button, so it's easy to hit accidentally.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Good catch Dwight, I so rarely go to the straight forum pages I totally forgot that you could subscribe to to the whole forum.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went back and checked every forum and the box was not checked on any of them.

I don't understand how this happened, but I do not seem to be getting the Email notifications now.

i hope that continues because it was a real pain to delete all those messages.

thanks to who ever fixed it for me.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts