G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
Just wondering if any of you have been to the New York Central museum in Elkhart, Indiana.  I have been trying to track down some of my great uncle's live steam locomotives (4 3/4 gauge) and was told one of his New York Central engines was in the museum.  I have not been able to confirm this though.  If any of you have been there, do you remember seeing a live steamer on display in the museum???  I don't want to make the 7 or 8 hour drive just hoping its there/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif
If there is a live steam engine on display in the museum, does anyone have any pictures?

thanks,
Matt Stolzenfels

p.s.  since I am thinking of going out that way this summer, what else is there to do in the area that is fun for the whole family (young kids)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I going to post this real quick before it disappears.

http://www.nycrrmuseum.org/

My hometown, Goshen is just a few miles away...

I'll add some other places to see.

Craig

Hey! It worked!

Visitors will view rolling stock which include an L3a "Mohawk", 4-8-2, steam locomotive, #3001 built in 1940.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Fort Wayne (actually New Haven, IN) has the Nickle Plate #765 Lima Locomotive Works 'Berkshire' 2-8-4 on display.

www.765.org/

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Damn software won't let me add to the previous post without trying to make everything a hyperlink!

Not far from Elkhart, LaPorte County has the Hesston Steam Museum.

www.michigancity.com/Hesston/Hesston.html

Don't know where you are from.... But there are several Amish attractions in the area

www.amishcountry.org/

Cars?
South Bend www.studebakermuseum.org/

A must see if you are close. The Auburn - Cord - Duesenberg Museum Just North of Fort Waye in Auburn, IN  acdmuseum.org/

Also in Auburn, The WWII Victory Museum with 3 ship loads of WWII vehicles from Europe.
www.wwiivictory.org/visitus

In the same building as the Victory Museum, The Kruse Automotive and Carriage Museum.
www.kccmuseum.org/

Craig

P.S. I left off the Dan Quayle Museum.........

·
Premium Member
5,909 Posts
Posted By leftyfretguy on 03/30/2008 8:07 AM
HI,

Just wondering if any of you have been to the New York Central museum in Elkhart, Indiana.  I have been trying to track down some of my great uncle's live steam locomotives (4 3/4 gauge) and was told one of his New York Central engines was in the museum.  I have not been able to confirm this though.  If any of you have been there, do you remember seeing a live steamer on display in the museum???  I don't want to make the 7 or 8 hour drive just hoping its there/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

If there is a live steam engine on display in the museum, does anyone have any pictures?

thanks,

Matt Stolzenfels

p.s.  since I am thinking of going out that way this summer, what else is there to do in the area that is fun for the whole family (young kids)

Matt,

Why don't you just give them a call and ask? There's sure to be a Docent or Curator who can tell you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheepdog,
Thanks for the area links. This trip is already planned for the weekend of the big steam up in hesston, talk about great timing!!
Wow a Dan Quayle museum! Sounds about as exciting as........... Sorry I fell asleep just thinking about it.

Pete,
I have already emailed them asking about the locomotive, but they never bothered to send a response. I came here next, because these boards are always full of info and fast responses. I may have to call them though.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts