G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks-
I'm in the planning stages of building a small elevated railway in our back yard with a total closed loop run of about 100 ft. I've seen plenty of pictures on this and other sites of different types of elevated structures and can't seem to settle on one design to move forward with. So would anyone be interested in posting some pictures of their elevated railway with pictures of details about how you connect from one vertical support post to the next etc. and the PROS & CONS of your building choice.

Currently I'm planning to use 4x4 treated posts set into precast concrete deck piers but since 4x4 posts aren't available in my area for now I'm considering alternatives. I would like to have a horizontal surface of approx. 18" width on which to put the track and buildings/landscaping.

So any pictures in response to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Robin Young

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Hi Robin,
My advice is always to work with materials you are 'happy' to work with.
Locally we have railways built with wood and also metal.
Mine is in wood as I enjoy working with wood and it's easy to cut, drill and screw.
Bot if you like metal and pop riveting or other ways of doing it, I would make sure that it is material that you understand and enjoy working with.
Mine is all wood with posts sunk in the ground and 2 x 3 and 2 x 4 cross pieces all screwed together with a plywood top cover in self adhesive roofing.
Cheers,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
73 Posts
Robin,
Hi, this is not my work and I hope whoever wrote it doesn't mind me sharing it.
I used this document with some modification and am very happy with how it is turning out.

I don't know how tall you want your track to be, and an 18" wide right of way might be hard with this method.

But here you go for some interesting reading:
https://familygardentrains.com/primer/roadbed/ladder1.htm

Aflyer

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Right at the top of the article: Written by Paul D. Race for Family Garden Trains(tm)

At the bottom of the page:
Note: Family Garden Trains?, Garden Train Store?, Big Christmas Trains?, BIG Indoor Trains?, and BIG Train Store? are trademarks of Breakthrough Communications (www.btcomm.com). All information, data, text, and illustrations on this web site are Copyright (c) 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 by Paul D. Race. Reuse or republication without prior written permission is specifically forbidden.
Family Garden Trains is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Always give credit when even linking, it's the best practice and supports the people who are kind enough to share information.

Greg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi David-
I agree that working with the material you're most familiar with seems best advice. For me that would be wood as well. However, 4x4 treated posts like you used aren't available for the time being in Maryland due to Covid (I guess) so am open to other solutions.
Thanks for the picture as well, very much appreciated. I am very big on not trying to re-invent the wheel if not necessary.
Robin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Aflyer, I did take a look at your link and, youre' right, this might not be suitable for a wider surface on which to lay track. But this method hasn't been ruled out, either, just collecting ideas at this point.
Robin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Greg, this looks quite substantial, maybe overkill for my small empire. My initial idea is to use single vertical 4x4 posts aligned under the track centerline. The posts would be mounted into precast concrete deck piers. From what I've read on another post using this method, they suggested to simply put the piers directly onto the dirt (leveled up, of course) without need for any type of footer. It's how to connect each post that's got me stuck.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
However, 4x4 treated posts like you used aren't available for the time being in Maryland
4" sewer pipe works just as well and fits the deck posts. Just remember to paint it. Then you can use plumbing elbows, etc.

I sent you the PDF from Carl showing how he built his track using deck piers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Scott-
I enjoyed your pictures and explanations of your elevated layout at your "new" house. I will probably use the deck piers but 4x4 treated posts (when they become available) with wooden frame between posts. Like you, I've got the little pink flags around the yard marking the route.
I also enjoyed your video of Calico & Potomac RR. The Potomac must be for the western branch of the Potomac, eh?
I believe I might have met you once at Dan Stroka's house in Forest Hill, MD; possible?
Robin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RShilling-
Thanks for the pics; that's quite an elaborate area you've got and quite good looking, too.
Robin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts