G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spent most of the time upside down while I poke at the suspension and power train I thought it was time to turn the loco right side up and attend to the roof....

This is a Classical "Henry Greenly" Pantograph -however I have modified it  for modern sources of supply. The rhombus is made from K&N 3/32nd tube with 1/16 rod ends. These are then soldered to 3mm crimp ring connectors and then held together with 3mm set screws and nuts. The ends of the set screws are pushed and bonded into two sections of tube and one section of square, (at the apex), this will hold the "horns" and collector.

The bottom of the rhombus is held aloft by compression springs bonded to the plate that the base pivot of the rhombus sits on.

The pantograph is now shown as it would sit on the loco -as would have been normal for a UK loco of this period both pantographs would have been raised to connect to the 1,500Volt DC overhead wire.

On the roof you can see the mounting plates for the "B" pantograph and the two control switches on/off fwd/rev. The front handrails on the loco require replacing due a (still unexplained) collision with a space hopper hit by a golf club
regards

ralph

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Sorry about the rather dark shot... But, here is the completed pantograh. The square spacer bar is now removed and the collector horns are in place. The horns are made from 15cm lengths of 1/16 inch tube. The ends have been bent to 45 deg by gripping them in a clothes peg and bending, (honestly!). Then two 3mm solder tags were slid onto each length. 1mm hook up wire was then threaded into the tubes and the assembly bent to a 90 deg angle. A quick dab with solder at the end locks it into that position. The horns were then place UPSIDE DOWN on the spacer bar and the 3mm solder tags threaded onto the 3mm setcrews and the whole lot tightened up solid. Again a quick dab with solder fixes the solder tags to the tube and the horns unbolted and then re-affixed in the upright position after the spacer bar has been removed.

One more to do!
regards

ralph

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This shows both completed pantographs. The left hand switch controls the on/off function and the right hand one the fwd/rev option. A "Drop Test" has shown that both pantographs could handle 5 Amperes of current and thus supply the 10 Amperes required for the locomotive to function....

I have thought about this and I have decided to wire them in as "proof" that they could work. All that would be required is a flying lead that would connect to either the battteries in the front and rear bonnets or the roof pantographs(?)

The underside of the roof has been affixed with two DPDT 6 Volt relays @ 30 Amperes rating, these are triggered by the small 0.5 Ampere rated DPDT switches on the roof.

I am still waiting for the wheels from Brandbright -who make them to order....

On a brighter note I have received the last installment of sleepers for my Gauge 3 track. I now have 2,500 of them being very smelly in a box on the floor of my shed. This with what I have already hammered together (literally) will I hope supply me with enough for my loop of track around the garden. It is with this statement that TacFoley falls over laughing...

I have bought a track gauge made from 3mm thick water cut aluminium alloy -with all the notches for making points with!!!

regards

ralph

1 - 5 of 5 Posts