G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have no idea where it came from or how it got on my system, but I thought all was lost.

Some nasty little bug slowed my system down really bad. So bad I could barely do some normal things like open up a word document. This guy was aggressive too. Not only could I not identify it simply by checking on my msconfig to see what's running in the background or what may have been recently added, it also would override my block all cookie commands under the control panel internet options section. When I noticed this then I really got worried. I use Mozilla Firefox so this was a new one for me, usually in my experience these buggers get IE.

Anyway long story short I fixed my laptop after some quick online research (on another computer of course) and she's better then ever. I wanted to share the nice program (Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware) that found and removed all the baddies all free of charge just in case anyone else out there has a slow down and can't resolve it via traditional routes.

What I have linked is the actual download. But if you're a bit worried about that, and I wouldn't blame you, the program is called Maywarebyte's Anti-Malware (do a google search for more info).

Download Link

Happy comput'n

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Malwarebytes can also remove the dreadful malware you get from "Finallyfast.com" that's advertised on tv.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Torby on 01/12/2009 7:26 AM
Malwarebytes can also remove the dreadful malware you get from "Finallyfast.com" that's advertised on tv.

I have often wondered what kinds of stuff you can get from all those "we can fix your computer" places can give you... What did you get from them?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/12/2009 9:16 AM
Matt, what was the name of the "bug" you got? All viruses and malware have names. Just curious.

Regards, Greg

Virtumonde? Or something similar to that, just not sure of the spelling.

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
That's a common one...

Spybot will kill this one too... Spybot 1.6 is free, and you can install a resident version that will block this kind of stuff from getting in in the first place.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
FinallyFast.com will do a pretty slick cleanup for you for $30, but it will install pesterware to constantly remind you to download and install many more $30 programs. It also constantly alarms that you haven't checked the registry. That's the main thing it does. Check Registry - Find a bunch of things - Fix them. Scream that you need to check registry - find nothing 'cause it just fixed registry. Scream that you need to check registery. "I JUST DID THAT YOU STUPID!!!!"

The free check at Malwarebytes will scan and get rid of finallyfast and many other things. It installs no pesterware. There is an inexpensive protector you can download. I haven't tried that.

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
get ccleaner from download.com, does a very nice job on the registry, and also extra files that can be deleted... (do not check the optional box for hotfix uninstallers)...

formerly known as "crap cleaner" .... very good reputation, free, frequent free updates, will also uninstall programs that do not want to be uninstalled, like junk toolbars, etc.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I'll endorse "CCleaner" also. Very nice program. I have only 5 things "check'd" on the "Windows" list, but all but two on the "Applications" list.

I do recommend that when you get the program you first run the program with just one checkbox at a time selected to see what it finds (it will make a list for you to look at before it removes anything so you can decide to not let it do nasty things to you!) Some of the selections will also warn you if it is something that you normally would not like to delete (like password files, etc.)... in those cases you just uncheck that item and try the next one (or go ahead and let it make the list so you can maybe learn where things are!, but then back out and don't let it do the deed!) Once you know what each option does, you can check only the ones you feel secure about.

If you are unsure of what it has selected for deleting, just don't check that box.

It remembers your settings from one run to the next.

It is not as good as RegClean at cleaning up the Registry but it does clean a few things that RegClean misses. RegClean is not free but I recommend it, too!

Under the "Tools" selection it has a list of what programs run at bootup/login and allows you to mark some as "disable" so you can reboot to see what happens if that program does not load. I have used it to remove some items that I only need "sometimes", like an audio enhancer program, a movie editor toolbar, and a "Bluetooth Agent". I disable them on that page and re-boot to eliminate the loss of memeory and gain CPU time when I am not needing those things. When I need them again, I run CCleaner and Enable them and re-boot.

On the Options menu you can see all the Cookies you have and can put some into a Keep list so that the Cleaner part of the program won' delete them even though it will delete the others that it finds. BE SURE TO MOVE the Cookies for ANY WEB SITES YOU "BELONG TO" to the Keep list. For places like my e-mail, e-Bay, my Bank, IRA company, and the forums I frequent, I Keep the Cookies. Advertisement trackers, photo sites I randomly visit, retailers I have just perused (and not purchased from) and any others that I feel are just useless junk, I leave in the "Delete these Cookies" list.

·
Super Modulator
20,526 Posts
Ahh, you like free stuff too... well, here is another find, but not a problem fixer, per se: download ultradefrag 2.0 from sourceforge... not only one of the very few free defraggers, but it has boot-time defrag of your system files.... not as fast as the ones that cost $$, but good enough.... really was hard to find a boot time defragger...

Regards, Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts