G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many of us the impact of the economy is not good, to say the least.

How do you ANTICIPATE that will this apparently souring world-wide economy affect YOUR activities within the large-scale hobby? My own answer will follow, but for you who live stateside and around the world--Great Britain, continental Europe, Australia, Canada and elsewhere, you surely MUST be seeing some very alarming trends that may substantially affect how you approach this hobby. So tell us, how you see this situation affecting YOUR layout.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Ron,

Interesting Poll.

For me, my disposable income has been cancelled as of last October due to the birth of Luke. All purchases related to the railroad have to be absolutely required. The only maintenance I did this year was to buy stone dust for a layout reorganization. That's not to say I didn't purchase anything. Some purchases were made this year when some windfall money came in the form of presents and a company bonus. I am not planning on the bonus money next year. Birthday cash might become trains, but I might have to discipline myself to lay a $20 bill aside every month until I have enough saved up to buy one in person somewhere (likely at ECLSTS).

I answered "Other, Special Purchases" because I do plan to buy an Aristo 2-8-0 when they come out. Maybe not the day they hit the shelves, but hopefully by the end of 2009.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Ron,
An interesting poll and as usual not a single answer that adequately fits my situation. No offense meant but I tend to be a roaund peg in a square hole world anyway.

My situation is such that I purchase for future or percieved use currently. I'd been hoping to get to starting a layout this year but with my mother moving in with us those plans were shelved. Some things need to happen before I can start a layout anyway. A shed needs replaced and a cottage for my mother's art studio built. Then I can think about where the trians will fit in. My purchasing focus had been on rolling stock and Track but once the track prices jumped thru the roof that put the hold on track purchases and I'll make do with what I have for now. My rolling stock purchases had been put on hold too. Honestly I've not spent much money on trains ina while. Recently I won two cars on Ebay at a reasonable price. As usual they were improperly packaged and ahd some damage. Nothing drastic (couplers that will be re-placed) and not unexpected (listing said no original boxes) so I knew the prospect was there.
So the possibility for a layout by the end of next summer is there. It will need to be done relatively cheaply though using materials (mostly) that I have on hand. I've been buying track right along so no worries there. Most cars have metal wheels but I believe I'll be upgrading to KAdees so there will be some expense there at soem point. Roadbed will be an expense but I think I've got a "fund" for that set aside. At least for now I do, we will see what the next year or so brings. If I see a good deal on track or rollings stock I'll pick it up and I hope to ge to Ridge Road Station this weekend as I'll be in that general area on Saturday but it's not a positive. Maybe I'll pick something up there? No worries and no garuntees.

Chas

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
You makje it very difficult to select one checkbox at all.

My hobby activities ARE subject to the vagarities of the ecconomy, but that is not going to affect much of my purchases because I don't intend to purchase much this year anyway.

I might buy some track, but that is not the only thing I might buy.

I might buy more rolling stock, but that is not the only thing I might buy.

I run Live Steam so I have no Power Pack to upgrade, besides, you threw "Only" into the selection again.

I may scratch build something, but I am not limiting myself to that.

Dont have a garden, so that is not applicable.

I have ripped up all my track and am starting to dissassemble some of my elevated structure, so I guess one might say I am "cutting back" in some manner, but not because I am quitting the hobby, I am going to ENHANCE/CORRECT what I already have (last winter nearly destroyed parts my elevated structure whereas previous 6 winters did nothing to it!)

I WILL be making some purchases this year associated with the CMBY RY.

I have GIVEN away some pieces of what I have, but I am NOT leaving the hobby at all.

I might drop a subscription to a magazine or two, but probably not associated with the Garden Railroad hobby... only get one of those (SitG)

So, what choice do I make in the poll? I voted the last one, but it really is not my situation.

I am not saying that the ecconomy is not a problem, I may have to curtail purchases in several areas, or scratch build "more", but I am not at the point where it is all or nothing in any area of the hobby.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I'm stocked up and ready to go. Don't know where yet?
But with or w/o buying more I have lots that needs to be done .

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I've got enough stuff stashed away to keep me more than busy for the next year though I may have to curtail any major purchases.

-Brian

G

·
0 Posts
Well, after receiving my quarterly 401k report this morning, and finding out i took a 65% hit so far in my future retirement plan ive come to the conclusion that all train purchases will cease.. i have plenty to keep me happy. we will see what a couple of years will do for the economy, but im not hopeful...
time will tell, its a good thing i bought most of what i wanted already...
Nick...

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted By Semper Vaporo on 10/16/2008 7:18 PM
You makje it very difficult to select one checkbox at all.

My hobby activities ARE subject to the vagarities of the ecconomy, but that is not going to affect much of my purchases because I don't intend to purchase much this year anyway.

I might buy some track, but that is not the only thing I might buy.

I might buy more rolling stock, but that is not the only thing I might buy.

I run Live Steam so I have no Power Pack to upgrade, besides, you threw "Only" into the selection again.

I may scratch build something, but I am not limiting myself to that.

Dont have a garden, so that is not applicable.

I assumed a kind of logic that does not work even for me. I was thinking along this line: You realize the economy is going sour. Your investment income has dropped substantially with no immediate hope that will change. Your job or your retirement income is now at risk. What do you do? Many if not most of us tend to be optimists here. We will go as far as we can and maybe just a little farther if we think we can get away with it.

Would you go for completing that last section of track? Perhaps you have been waiting for the opportunity for that one locomotive or that set of passenger cars you know are coming out this year. Have enough of these things to get by? Then maybe you can satisfy yourself with scratch-building some structures or taking a few relatively inexpensive parts and constructing your dream locomotive. And if you have a true garden railway there is no way to avoid putting money into that. Almost certainly most of us will have to be cutting back--maybe substantially. The economic trends dictate that our buying habits will almost certainly have to change. But for many, so far it seems, the best choice is "other."

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
We have everything we need or really want and our buying has been limited to sales and whims for the last several years. I don't see this changing.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Fortunately I won't be changing my hobby activities - and related costs - very much. With my given space full of track and all the rolling stock (46) and engines (10) I'll ever want, I was pretty much topped out a few years ago. I build my own structures and they cost nearly nothing but space is a premium as well so....

Lately I'm down to spending $50.00 to $75.00 a month, Max, anyway. I pay $40.00 for my newspaper for crying out load. If I cut back at all it will be on eating out. That's getting really expensive because no one will work for slave wages any longer.

Dave

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
This year I finished buying the necessary track & switches to complete the railroad's expansion. The 6 engines I have now will do me for quite some time. I do need more frt cars, and next year will be like this year, in that frt cars will be purchased when funds become available (OT at work or tax refunds). I have never had any great dal of hobby money at any one time, all railroad related items have been bought over a 15 year period of time. The state of the economy hasn't affected my job at all therefore my hobby spending will not be affected by the current economy either.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
This is a case of getting you priorities straight. You quit buying clothes, scrimp on food, starve the dogs, tell the kids, sorry no toys this year........so you can still buy all those trains you really need.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
The economy does not effect my RR very much. 10 years ago when I bought my house I went into the venture very cost effective ( cheap) I only did what I had to do to get the house on the lot. The first three years a stepladder was my front steps.

I based everything on take home pay. So everything else, Over Time Pay, Expences checks, and Tax refunds are Gravey.

I can there fore do pretty much what I want right now.

I have little fund boxes I toss money in. Change, Dollar bills, maybe a few 5 and 10's The boxes are sealed. I never look what's in there Till I think there is enough to do something. Then I open it up to see what's in there.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I'm too worried about the full scale economy to be worrying about the 1:22.5 economy.

Or drop all of your subscriptions and learn to love bombed state of our state.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By Madman on 10/17/2008 8:51 PM
I'm too worried about the full scale economy to be worrying about the 1:22.5 economy.

Or drop all of your subscriptions and learn to love bombed state of our state.

Well Dan I sympathize with you, but down here in Texas so far the budgets are balance both at the state level and the cities(Houston). I guess we are just fortunate. City and State leaders are, however, planning cut backs so we do not get into budget trouble in the future whatever that may hold. The problem for retired people like myself is the rising costs and declining value of the dollar. But......now the dollar seems to be gaining on other currencies. So who knows.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Hey guys, just thought you'd like to know.

In the way that Ron configured the poll you're not limited to choosing just one option in the answers (i.e. they're check boxes, not radio buttons.)

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Luckily, my major expanses were laid by last year with the buildout of the new raised benchwork system. I had not planned on making any major purchases this year anyway. I'll still pick up a few cars and maybe a loco or two, but that's about all I had planned. I may look into new power, but that's not a priority right now.

So short answer is.. I'll cut back slightly. But that was on the books anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
If everyone does quit buying products.....guess what?

Whilst this would be a wrong move during economically tight period from a "macro" view, but the one held at the "micro" view for sure, as shown above.

Me? Just hope the Jones' keep it up for the US sake!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts