G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wandering the vendor stalls at ECLSTS, I found St Aubins had a bunch of Accucraft locos, very well lit and presented. I didn't take a pic, but Bills did, see below:

I had noticed the C-19 #340 (bottom right) but I didn't see the C&S #59. That looks like a C-16 except for the wagon-top boiler. Still looks like Accucraft, but I don't recall them advertising it. It's not on their website, as far as I can see. Anyone shed any light on it?

Among the delightful Rubys, 4-4-0s and a Big Boy, I did see an Accucraft C-16 in the old-style D&RGW #42 version from years ago. I thought they were sold out, but I guess St Aubins still has one.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
That is an electric model of the C&S #60 which Accucraft came out with about a decade ago. What they have done is change the numbers so that it appears to be another engine. I had a #60 which was a beautiful model but it wouldn't pull itself up a 5% grade (I have since lowered the grade to 3%) so I sold it on ebay and bought more Bachmann engines. It's not that the locomotive was under-powered, oh no! It was that the wheels would slip and it would just sit there on the grade spinning! I don't know what the problem was but it soured me on Accucraft for a while (I have since gotten over it and now have the electric version of the #346 as it appears today at the CRRM!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Posted By Steve Stockham on 03/28/2009 11:03 AM
That is an electric model of the C&S #60 which Accucraft came out with about a decade ago. What they have done is change the numbers so that it appears to be another engine. I had a #60 which was a beautiful model but it wouldn't pull itself up a 5% grade (I have since lowered the grade to 3%) so I sold it on ebay and bought more Bachmann engines. It's not that the locomotive was under-powered, oh no! It was that the wheels would slip and it would just sit there on the grade spinning! I don't know what the problem was but it soured me on Accucraft for a while (I have since gotten over it and now have the electric version of the #346 as it appears today at the CRRM!

Steve, what version of the #346 do you have? The first version with the vertical shaft from the motor gear box to the axle gear box or the later one they supposedly fixed. I have the first one and it has been apart at least 6 times to fix loose set screws and shattered gears. I sent it back to Accucraft twice, but since then I have just taken it apart and fixed it myself. It costs $50-60 to UPS it back to them and they never did fix it satisfactorily anyway. Cliff had some guy in Beaumont, CA doing the work and he wasn't very reliable. The second time, instead of fixing my engine, he sent me the parts engine he had.......but forgot to lock tite the set screws so it came apart just like the first one. Right now it is running, but the last time I disected it I noticed the shaft coming out of the gear head motor was loose so I suspect the next failure will be the motor. Give me live steam any day over this electric crapola. I have(or had) one of those Bachman 2-8-0's but it split the nylon drive gear om the third axle(and it's outside frame you know). Now it's with the Bachman repair man and who knows when it will return. The most useful sparky is my Aristo RS3(a diesel of course...wouldn't you know) which I use for track maintenance and row clearing. It seems bullit proof. All three are battery powered by the way as I do not have track power by design. When the 346 runs it runs great, really smooth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts