G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
441 Posts
Wonderful Kevin,
Fantastic. Now I can see the version yours is based on, with extended smokebox. The original version actually looks pretty stock Baldwin, as the D&RG versions to follow Shou-wa-no had the two steam domes as well, also slightly different drive wheel setout and valve setup. I think Shou-wa-no was a prototype for things to come.

The paint in that first photo is very much a Baldwin style - while this predates the style book, it looks to me to be typically Style 9, which was a classic Pennsylvania RR style from 1869. Their engines were a gloss black as-built with simple bands of colour on the domes in red cream and gold. The tender features a neat linework box on the sides and tender corners, made up of gold and cream linwork, no scrolls. There is a line at the upper and lower tank edge in cream with bands (or stiles) of Tuscan red above and below. This style was used by the Penn RR over 10 years, then the styling was updated - same colours and bands, just with simpler chamfers to the corners on the tender decoration. You'll find locos correctly restored to this style at Strasburg RR Museum today.

What a slick engine this would have been if gloss black was used on the NG loco. I've worked a lot with this style in recent months, as a whole host of Baldwin locos built for Australia used this exact same style from 1877-1885, abeit on dark Olive green base colour, instead of black.

Here is a glimpse of Style 9, Penn RR style of the 1870s on an old Accucraft 4-4-0 I built up from a kit. Note there should be gold rims to the dome rings and linework on the wheels too, but I never got round to that nightmare! This old Acc is a bit clunky as a runner!

David.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.