G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havae never bought from Ebay but I was looking at some Aristo 10 foot switches.

The BUY IT NOW price was about 63.00. I can buy it for about 40 from RRS.

So my question is, what does the buy it now price really mean? Do they hope that someone who does not know any better will immediately pay that price? Does that mean that is the minimum price the item will sell for even after an auction? In other words, if the highest bidder bids 50 and the buy it now price is 63, does the person get it for 50 or does it not sell?

I keep hearing about these great deals on Ebay but I have looked quite a few times and I sure have not found any.

Also, the shipping seems to be pretty high on some of these items.

John

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
John

If the vendor has offered these switches without a starting bid it is not an auction but simply switches for sale at the Buy it Now price. If there is a starting bid then the auction commences at that price but should a bidder wish to avoid the competitive process he can buy it now.

There are many many retailers who sell on Ebay often at a higher price than their mail order prices. Caveat Emptor definitely applies to all Ebay transactions. There are the occasional good buys but you have to look for them, have patience and as in any auction environment, do not get caught up in the game of "winning the bidding".

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Be sure to watch the shipping charges closely.
One sale has a disclaimer that all orders had a $2 handling fee. Others state insurance required but not listed in the shipping price.
So you paid the bid price, shipping, insurance, and this 2 dollar fee.

I have bought many items and had no problems with the sellers.

Small parts can be a killer on shipping. Parts from Isreal have a $4 fee, but local sellers have a higher shipping price????
I look at the current bid plus shipping costs and adjust my bid accordingly.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I REALLY like the ones where the bid price is something like 99c and the shipping is a "flat rate" of $40 -- on some dinky thing that they are gonna stuff in a Priority box and send you for about $5. Are people REALLY stupid enough to bid on those?

BTW, I get grief over a 50c handling fee to help cover strapping tape and bubble wrap, so those who complain get crappy priority tape and old newspaper.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I was looking on e-bay for a USB/BlueTooth adapter and found I could get them at a Buy It Now price of $0.99 with $5.00 shipping, or at a Buy It Now price of $5.00 with $0.99 shipping, or at a Buy It Now price of $5.99 with free shipping... all from the same company! Of course, there were other companies that were selling them (identical spec's and photos of the product) for $29.95 with $10.00 shipping (and some were even higher prices!). I keep wondering if people look at the competition when setting their prices... and how many people pay the ridiculous prices when a simple search produces hundreds of hits at lower prices.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Also Watch closely the location of the item.

I saw a smoking deal on some ON/OFF minitature switchs that would be great for a battery car to disconect the batters when not in use

Then I noticed they were in HONG KONG.

The shipping killed the deal

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Posted By John J on 04/06/2009 9:38 AM

Then I noticed they were in HONG KONG.

The shipping killed the deal

Sadly, I find that shipping from Hong Kong is STILL often lower than what some of those yahoos want to ship stuff 100 lousy miles across the state.....

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
I needed some small GOW 6v lamps. They are $3.50 from USAT... I got 100 of them for $6 plus $13 shipping I believe... Hong Kong is ok by me!

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
I buy off of eBay all the time. In fact, it's the very first place I go whenever I want to buy anything...and I mean anything. I've bought plumbing parts, flat panel TVs, furniture, shelving, audio/visual equipment, etc ...and of course, GRR stuff... off of eBay or it's affiliated "stores".

eBay IS the beginning of the research cycle for me...versus Google. Frequently I can get model numbers and such off eBay which aid in Google searches. Searching on Google for merchandise without model info and such normally results in you being led into "stores" versus informative sites. Also, you do need to educate yourself before bidding as I'd say that half of what's on eBay is priced higher than you can get off straight internet stores.

I've bought a LOT of stuff that came from Hong Kong...most of which had free shipping so far. So far I've received exactly what I ordered...about two weeks later. Shipping is definitely slower and all of it was shipped via mail...each item having a customs sticker on the box/envelop. I've never bought a large item from Hong Kong.

The Hong Kong outfits also do NOT do as well on email communications as US outfits. If you ask a question of them in Hong Kong, don't expect a reply in a day or so. It often takes a week from my experience.

So far, on eBay purchases, I've only been hit ONCE out of 300 plus buys with the "out of stock" reply. That happened recently with a technical manual I was trying to buy. For some reason, the eBay sellers seem to HAVE the exact thing listed, even if they used a stock photo. I have NOT found that to be true when I've bought stuff from listings from hobby shops or hobby distributors. It seems to me that THEY advertise a LOT of stuff they don't actually have in stock compared to the eBay sellers.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
This is a TOUGH audience. You guys might wanna be absent at the NGRC and BTS. Marge will be with me. She's tough. And, she's pre-eBay for sure....27 years of perfect wifedomness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts