G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed there are more than 1100 items for usa trains only, almost 800 for aristo. this is 4-5 times more than it used to be a year ago. is this because of the current economic situation or did ebay change the way they count/list items ?

it seems there's more stuff for sale but not necessarily at lower prices.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Here are my two theories:

1. Rising prices bring more sellers to the market - perhaps because LGB items are becoming more collectible.

2. The poor economy encourages folks to sell off their stuff in order to get needed cash.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
3. People gave up waiting for evilBay to backpeddle on their confiscatory fee schedule, and extorted double dipping with Paypain, and listed it at an inflated price to try to cover some of the bleeding.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Have you ever done a search and gone from page to page to find the items repeat themselves over and over.
Perhaps with the decline of advertisers it is just another eBay pile of crapola to fudge the item totals.
This company is becoming more and more transparent with their incideous ways.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
4. Some of us are retired now have the time to sell and answer questions on sales plus time to pack and go to the post office to send out items.
Small items cost much less to ship USPS than other carriers.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
One of the reasons you might see more listings is if you list something for 30 days or a month it costs .30 cents to list it. Theres more and more people trying to sell, always new faces at the sales we go to.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I had quit selling a long time ago for various reasons. Mostly it was too time consuming in my life at teh time and I did not really have anyhting I wanted to sell.

I now have some "stuff" (not trains) that I want to sell but the fees have gotten so high that I fear it would cost me money to even list this stuff.

Oh well.

I still buy on Ebay from time to time but find that the shipping cost is a detriment to my even bidding in most cases. I'd won back in January a few pieces of Stainless track that I finally got the costs reimbursed on. The seller could not ship them, at 72 inches long, thru the USPS and would not take them to UPS or FedEx ground. So be it. Lost sales and bad rap for that seller. See why I won't sell anymore? Try to make an honest sale and the buyer will screw you when the shipper is at fault. LOL!

Seriously though when I was paying 10 to 15 to ship something before, now it's more than doubled. Pretty sad.

Chas

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Not sure how you're coming up with 1100 USA and 800 Aristo Craft Items.

I come up with a search of G scale trains shows 291 USA brand and 454 Aristo Craft brand items for sale.

Randy

·
Registered
258 Posts
Most of the stuff from those "e-bay stores" you can buy cheaper at mail order houses like RRS. With cheaper shipping costs.

Some of those guy's prices are ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
The tick off to me is when you search for LGB, Hartland, etc. and you have 30%+ diecast cars and dollhouse crap that has nothing to do with the subject in the search...

....that all can be bought at Hobby Lobby et al for a thrid or less of the price.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Spule 4 on 03/03/2009 6:42 PM
The tick off to me is when you search for LGB, Hartland, etc. and you have 30%+ diecast cars and dollhouse crap that has nothing to do with the subject in the search...

....that all can be bought at Hobby Lobby et al for a thrid or less of the price.

That is because much of the public still views LGB and large scale as one in the same. You are also likely to find some Bachann, Aristocraft and USA Trains products listed under LGB because of that strong word association. When visitors come by my bar in the summer and see those large-scale trains (mostly NOT LGB), what do you suppose many of them ask: "Are those LGB?" There you go: the power and success of an extended advertising campaign. Odd, isn't it? So many associate our large-scale hobby with a company that no longer exists. LGB will ALWAYS exist to some because it is an easy name to say and remember (as opposed to Bachmann or Aristocraft) and at one time those products could be found almost anywhere there was a railroad hobby shop.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
My complaint is not Hartland, Bachmann, Aristo, et al....just gas pumps, diecast 40's Fords, dollhouse accessories and a rash of other "LGB accessories".

I report as many as I can for keyword spamming, some get booted, some do not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find that diesels from both USA and Aristocraft are cheaper on ebay then the discount hobby shops but you have to be picky. I have within the last three weeks picked up a sd45 and an sd-40-2 both for under two hundred dollars with shipping that is cheaper then i have seen anything at East Coast large Scale Show. LGB modern ACF boxcars i have seen recently go for as low as 35 dollars. Set your limit and realize there will always be another engine to bid on.

When i'm on the road on business i look over ebay carefully. I soon will not be able to afford to travel for business.

Dave

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I have a number of new-in-box LGB items--mostly small locomotives--that I was planning to sell at one point, but have decided to hold onto them for the time being since I'm in no great rush to dispose of them. Figured that I might as well just hold off for a while and see how things shake out now that the brand is pretty much kaput. But if/when I do decide to sell some or all of them, it sure won't be via eBay, which I no longer even visit. The Bay was fun in its early years; now it's just a pain in the butt. I'll just list things on the buy/sell section of this forum when the time comes, or sell them as a lot to a place like Watts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts