G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typically there's live steam at ECLSTS. Anybody able to confirm that for this one (March 22-23, I think)?
Any word on whether any live steam mfgrs or vendors are going to be there?
Thanks
Jim C.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Warrior Run sells Live Steam and they will be there. I have seen a few other sellers with live steamers but not a lot. I don't see the live steamers not being there.
LAO

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Dr J

Yes Mike's track will be there. NO vendors specific to live steam unless Accucraft shows up... and they do not usually sell at the show. Clem [Warrior Run] may have some "previously owned" stuff. If you are looking for something specific, send me an email off board and we can probably arrange for it to be there. Don't show up with a coal fired locomotive and expect to run it. Harry has banned them.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Posted By Dr Rivet on 04 Feb 2013 07:11 PM
Dr J

(snip..) Don't show up with a coal fired locomotive and expect to run it. Harry has banned them.

It seems ludicrous that a single person complaining about the smell of coal fired engines would get them banned. (Really, the smell? Had she ever smelled burning sparkie smoke juice?) I have found that one can light off a coal fired engine using alcohol instead of lamp oil or what have you, without creating a huge cloud of smoke. Lighting off with alcohol poses other constraints or concerns, but smell or smoke is not one of them. (Big fire IS!)

I wasn't there that weekend, so I don't have all the facts, I would like to demonstrate how smoke free it CAN be. (Why base an opinion on facts anyway, right Jim?)

It is possible other things were on fire besides fine Welsh coal. Down in Diamondhead, when Yves' smoke coal would not give off enough funk, we put any thing we could find into Brit's newly acquired coal fired fire box. The worst was Dave Hottman's lube mix that contained a fair amount gear oil, IT REEKED and seemed violently toxic!

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
DAVE

DO NOT PRESS THE POINT.

Someone at a nearby layout has/had a chronic respiratory condition and believed the coal smoke was an irritant. The show organizer made a decision and the group will abide by it. ALL OTHER facts and/or opinions are IRRELEVANT.

I am sorry I mentioned it. Continue in this vein and I will request the moderators lock the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Jim, I believe Robby of RLD hobbies usually has some live steam engines for sale at the show. Llyn Rice and I are bringing steamers to run, and I believe it was Robby from whom he bought his AC Climax two years ago.
See you at the steam track,

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Posted By Dr. J on 04 Feb 2013 05:58 PM

Any word on whether any live steam mfgrs or vendors are going to be there?
Thanks
Jim C.

Jim,

The Train Department will be there this year for my first showing at this venue. Will have things from Accucraft, Regner, Roundhouse along with many live steam accessories and Summerlands Chuffers.

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Jason

Glad someone is going to have a real live steam presence in the vendor hall. I realize that Robbie [RLD] and others have have a loco or two over the years, but it has been a while since any one has brought a selection of parts and supplies.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Jason, if you are going to be selling Summerlands Chuffers, I need a SCRH6.

See you at the show,

Larry

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who replied. I look forward to the show.
Jim C

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm thinking of going too. For those who have attended previously, how much time does it make sense to plan for?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
I am starting to get a bit excited, as I anticipate picking up my first 45mm gauge live steamer at the show. I will be sending the check for it in tomorrow's mail.

This will be my first experience at running a steam locomotive without first climbing into the cap, so I am expecting quite a learning curve. I do hope the experienced folks will go gentle on me while I figure things out.

Counting the days,
David Meashey
P.S. Forgot, SA#462

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Dave, what model did you purchase?

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
It is a Roundhouse Millie in what I would call Crimson Lake livery. But I think a purist would say the color is a shade light for lake. Still, it is a nice shade of red.

Yours,
David Meashey
SA #462

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Dave, I will look for you and Millie at the steam track. I also have a new RH on order--the Alco 2-6-2--and hope to have it with me for it's first run.

Larry

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Hello All,

I plan to be there both Friday and Saturday, arriving Thursday late afternoon.

Speaking of vendors, I spoke with Fred at Accucraft a week and a half ago, and he is planning to be at ECLSTS. He said he was hoping to have the Big Boy and the Dreyfus Hudson there.

Best regards,

Alan

1 - 20 of 52 Posts