G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recognize this receiver? It's in an engine I bought at auction so there is no information about it. Has a very long antenna so it may well be FM (or AM) analog. I also suspect it's pretty old since it is connected to a Phoenix BigSound 97 sound board.

Any info would be help as I try to sort out the electronics.
thanks

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Computer hardware
Circuit component Electricity Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic engineering

· Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I still have one working in an old 2-8-0, with the relay board to turn on sound and lights. Be warned the relays on the Aristo board will not handle much current - I had to add Radio Shack relays to handle the Aristo sound system on/off.

· Premium Member
7,215 Posts
are you sure you are not talking about a different Crest unit, that does not use relays?
Circuit component Electronic component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

That's the inside of my 2-8-0, taken about 20 years ago. Sure looks like the same RX and relay board.

I sent the relay board back twice, and the tech said I had fused the relay contacts using too high a current. It was turning on lights and the sound board from an Aristo slope-back tender. As you can see, I have a pair of Radio Shack relays fed by the Aristo relays. It works.

· Super Modulator
22,721 Posts
Yes, I agree. Those appear to be old style reed relays. Reed relays normally have very little power handling, and cannot take inductive loads. I actually had a picture of that board, but did not look carefully to see they were cylindrical.

Alter products were improved, but that "on board" system was not sold very much, or maybe not many survived as compared to the trackside.

Thanks Pete

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts