G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Dan introduced his latest building, I knew I now had a reason for having a roster full of USAT 4 bay hoppers. I also knew I had my hands full when the freight line’s Dispatcher called and asked if a tractor-trailer could negotiate my street.
The elevator is big and heavy, all sheet steel welded construction, with an e-coat finish. The elevator was palletized for shipment and is built with the silos as a separate piece, which does limit the weight of each section to a manageable amount.
After painting, I added plexiglass to all of the windows. Reaching the uppermost windows required the gluing of a handle to the plexiglass pieces, which could then be positioned using a “grabber”. I used “liquid-tape” to simulate rubber roof coating on the flat roofs and corrugated aluminum soda cans on the shed over the silos. I still haven’t decided what roof covering I should use for the sloped roofs other than being painted. I also added a light strip inside the main structure, using magnets to support the strip. After having continual maintenance on my resin buildings re-gluing and reinforcing warped sections every spring, it’s nice to have a structure that will require minimal annual maintenance.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
"When Dan introduced his latest building"

Latest is right; there isn't a word about it on their web site. How big is that bad boy?

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
wwo looks great, like the color.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Nice elevator Jim. What is the height and diameter of the round silos. I would like to build one this summer.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Is it powdercoated on the inside also? With the open windows I would expect moisture could get inside. If you close it up, then condensation inside has no place to escape, did you make a vent?

Just curious, because anything that can eventually rust worries me just a tiny bit.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leon, the silos are 6" in diameter and 24" tall. Check price with Dan, he was offering a discount to MLS members.
Greg, the e-coat process coats all surfaces and the bottom of the elevator is open to allow for drainage.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Greg try not to worry.
It will be a long time for that metal rust through.
Even my Garden Metal Model bridges are still in great shape and I wish they would rust for photos.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got someone to buy the naming rights, lol. Got a local sign shop to do the logo on magnetic material, works great on a steel structure.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Marty,

> Even my Garden Metal Model bridges are still in great shape and I wish they would rust for photos.

Dissolve some steel wool in white vinegar. Let it stew for a few days and paint the solution on your bridges. Instant rust.

Best,
TJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts