G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what voltage of batteries to have for the lights on the front of an E-8. All I got was the nose from Marty(see model building forum). I hooked 6 volts to the light board and they don't seem overly bright, actually may be a bit dim. Would appreciate any help.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Jerry,
The new E8s use a main pcb for the lights/smoke, motor, Battery, that is very similiar to the one on the SD45.  The light output to the headlights on my sd45 is track voltage... moderated possibly by a pwc converter in the board.  The other lights in the nose either use LEDs [5v input] or incandescent bulbs [track voltage].  

I don't know if this helps any, or not.

JimC.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Jerry,
If you just want to use all LEDs, Radio Shack has a 2 - AA pack and a 2-CC pack.  With either of these packs, you can hook up the leds in parallel without resistors.  I used the 2-CC pack with LEDs in some of my Streamliner cars that were run at Marty's last September.  Just use a simple SPST switch for on/off.
Jim C.

·
Premium Member
4,006 Posts
The headlight in my SD-45 is 4 volts. When a bulb burned out, I installed a 3mm bright white LED and added a resistor for 4 volt operation at 15 milliamps.

Great light running at night now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts