G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've finally done it. I knew that sooner or later I'd lose the charger for my DX-6 transmitter. I can get a plug for my universal charger and should have no problems, but there is a note in the manual about 'reverse polarity' on the plug.

I suspect I know what that means, but I'd hate to blow something up.

Of course I have a steamup this coming weekend, and thanks to the versatility of the Spektrum all of my RC locos use the same transmitter, which now has a dead battery.

Could one of our many DX-6 owners please put a meter on their charger and kindly tell me which side of the plug is + and which is ground?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
James,
I checked and the center pin is ( - ) and the outer ring is ( + ).

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Fred. That's what I expected, but I needed confirmation before making a potentially expensive mistake.

Now it's off to Radio Shack. . .

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I have a DX-6i and the center is "-" and the outer is "+". It is marked that way on the bottom of the unit. Of course , since the batteries are AA NiMH, you could just take them out and charge them on a normal NiMH AA battery charger.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
The "reverse polarity" caution is in the Spectrum instruction manual because the other major RC brand (Futaba) charger plugs are polarized oppositely/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif. (Remember, the primary market for these radios are the RC airplane & helicopter guys). I just bought a Spectrum DX7 myself about a week ago, with a couple of extra receivers. The "long range" receiver (twin receiver, dual diversity) that the DX7 comes with is going into a new electric RC airplane I'm just putting the finishing touches on.:cool: I bought 2 of the "park flier" AR6000 receivers with as well (under the Spectrum "free receiver" rebate). 1 of them is going into my "Ruby #11" 2-4-2 to curb it's "Acela" tendencies /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif when running down my 3% mainline grade. (Not only does a diamond-stacked 2-4-2 look ridiculous at 150 /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif scale MPH, it's also spectacularly wrecked /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif a couple of times in the past!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif This will also eliminate trying to run (with a bad knee!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif ) after the Ruby. (Talk about trying to "catch a train" - LITERALLY!)./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

Tom

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, thanks all. The older DX6 uses a battery pack, so removal isn't really an option. Glad to see the DX6i uses a better battery solution, as the stock battery life wasn't that great on the DX6.

(And before everyone suggests solutions for the DX6 battery, rest assured I've already done them and mine is no longer stock.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.