G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All;

Meant to post this Sunday, but the high winds we were having in Roanoke, VA knocked the power out until sometime this afternoon.  I own both a Bachmann Heisler and an HLW Big John (loosely modeled on the Dunkirk geared steam locomotive).  Actually the prototypes were sort of cousins.  The Heisler was an evolutionary step (mechanically) up from the Dunkirk, and they shared a design engineer.  (Although I can't remember the man's name at present.)

I always thought the HLW Big John was the stronger of the two locomotives, even though it was also the smaller - and more coarsely detailed.  But beauty can also be in the tractive effort.

Sunday I decided to put my hunch to a little test.  Not too very scientific, mind you, but adequate for my curiosity.

I coupled the locomotives back to back on a section of straight track at the center of the length.  I set the polarity switch on the Heisler for NMRA.  This way both locomotives would try to go "forward,"  even though they would receive the same polarity from the power pack.  I used an MRC 10 amp power pack.

I applied the power as slowly and smoothly as I could.  The Dunkirk walked away, with some slipping, dragging the Heisler along for the ride.  Just to be fair, I stopped and reversed the polarity.  The Dunkirk shoved the Heisler along as it backed up.

In the prototype world, the Heisler most likely would have won.  It was a more advanced machine than the Dunkirk.  But it still was fun to see the little ugly engine win in the realm of models.

Big John may be ugly as sin, but he is drop dead beautiful when it comes to tractive effort.

Have fun,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
What! No video??/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif
For shame! Just teasing us like this/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Dave Meashey on 02/11/2008 7:48 PM

The Heisler was an evolutionary step (mechanically) up from the Dunkirk, and they shared a design engineer.  (Although I can't remember the man's name at present.)

That would be Charles Heisler  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Posted By altterrain on 02/12/2008 9:05 AM
Posted By Dave Meashey on 02/11/2008 7:48 PM

The Heisler was an evolutionary step (mechanically) up from the Dunkirk, and they shared a design engineer.  (Although I can't remember the man's name at present.)

That would be Charles Heisler  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/ermm.gif

-Brian

Yes, but George Gilbert first developed the Dunkirk Locomotive in the 1890's;)

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Victor;

Sorry, but I don't have a video camera, and stills really don't show anything but two locomotives on a piece of straight track.  I'm still trying to figure out how to get my signature back, and I need to get a better picture of myself and post an avatar (sp?).  So I'm kinda' photo-challenged.

Perhaps someone else will also try the test and then post a video.  I did not let the Heisler get dragged very far, as I didn't know whether that could damage it.  So long as its wheels slipped, I figured there would be little harm to the motors.

Yours,
David Meashey

P. S.  I have lost over 64 pounds so far, so I need to get an avatar posted so folks will recognize me at ECLSTS. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts