G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just finished building a new RhB freight car, and now I am ready to apply some dry transfer numbers, as well as a few decals (I have to print them on my ink-jet printer). I airbrushed on the paint using a flat Model Master enamel. I am planning on using a semi-gloss MM lacquer at the end, but from reading other posts here it looks like I should give it one coat of the clear, then do the decals, then another overcoat of clear. Does this also apply to dry transfers, or should they go on the flat paint prior to any clearcoat? One more question: The clear coat I bought is the Testors Model Master semi-gloss lacquer--do you think it would be subject to yellowing? I had read in several places that if it's outside a lot it might yellow. I don't leave my trains outside when I'm not running them, so maybe it isn't a factor?

Thanks!
Keith

·
Super Moderator
4,961 Posts
The dry transfers can go on at any point in the process. A clear coat once they're applied will help protect them. The decals will want at the very least a semi-gloss (satin) surface to adhere properly. I'd apply the semi-gloss (or gloss), apply the decals and dry transfers, then overspray with the semi-gloss, matte, or whatever finish you want. If it's a passenger car or locomotive, I'd opt for the semi-gloss or gloss, as those tended to be kept in good repair. The freight stuff would likely be much more of a matte finish.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! This is an intermodal drop deck car for the RhB, and as they have just been put into service, they are nice and clean, and appear to be semi-gloss in finish so that's what I'm going to use. When I get the car finished I'll post a picture of it here.
Thanks again,
Keith

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Might want to check the ink in your ink jet.... mine would be totally useless for waterslide decals -- add a little bit of dampness, even a month after printing, and the type bleeds, runs and smears.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems, but be sure the paint is fully dried before applying dry transfers. Drying time can take 2 weeks sometimes with paints like Model Masters. Don't ask me why I know this

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Matt. I will heed your advice because although it's been a week now, it does still seem to smell a bit of thinner. For the first few days it was really strong.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
My question is regarding removal of decals on rolling stock. Specifically the letering on the Ariso heavyweights.
Any help wolud be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By gibs035 on 10/05/2008 10:17 PM
My question is regarding removal of decals on rolling stock. Specifically the letering on the Ariso heavyweights.
Any help would be appreciated.

Aristo lettering can be removed with a bit of elbow grease and a Mr.Clean magic eraser. Adding a bit of alcohol will help too.

-Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts