G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plenty of action at the Fall IE&W meet today... Thanks again to our hosts Jim and Jo Anne for providing the track, food, and a great time for the visitors....

Things are getting more and more organized with the addition of a track marshal at the yard throat (Mike Moore). In addition to an engineer all trains are required to have a brakeman/conductor to throw switches and guard the rear of the train.

Jeff and Ryan completed extensive work/mods on the Accucraft GS-4. The results were jaw dropping speed. The engine exceeded 200 smph and it became a little scary when it became apparent no one could run fast enough to catch it.. LOL!

** GS-4 MOVIE ** >>>> http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/davidrose/stapleton2008/GS-4.wmv

Lots of action in the steaming bay...

Justin's coal fired K-27 putting on a show.

Jon Klings awesome MOW train.

K-27 letting off some steam.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Looks like a wonderful time, sorry we missed it

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
Posted By Taperpin on 09/14/2008 1:38 AM
Is that Peter Jobusch I see with grandson in arms?
Gordon.

That was indeed Peter J. No sign of his 4-6-0 though ;-)

I had a most pleasant day seeing all the old crowd again. Here's Justin and Jason with the coal-fired K-27 in the steaming bay(s):

My EBT consist is still waiting for more hoppers and a Mikado, but the small 2-8-0 (ex-RGS C-16) does a great job.

It is nominally radio controlled, but Oops - when I turned on the transmitter, which worked fine for a test on Tuesday, the power meter showed a bit low. Although I was halfway down the yard lead going to pick up my train, I decided to swap batteries as I had several in my box. No good; the old batteries were corroded and covered in gunk! Yuk. So I dropped the transmitter and (luckily, arranged with a retaiing spring for just these occasions,) flicked the throttle servo bar out of the throttle lever so I could run manually.

Then I had a nerve-racking experience acting as brakeman for Bill Crane and his Aster Berkshire. Here's our reefer train being overtaken by Dan Stroika's Northern on a hotshot 'varnish':

I was nervous as I haven't had any experience running one of those complicated Aster beasts, and Bill is due for a back operation so he's not very mobile. They are significantly different from my Accucraft locos, so I over-filled the boiler for Bill, and a few other faux-pas. Dan, Charles, Ryan and Mike all helped out with advice so I did get the hang of it by the time we finished.

Mike Moore had done a great job of adding r/c to Bill's loco using a Spectrum DX6 with lots of channels - cylinder cocks, blower, and whistle were all controllable. Bill was having a ball with the whistle which sounded great from across the layout!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
The car behind the Ditcher was a three foot scale drop bottom gondola with the doors open...

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Justin,
I see you got the good coal again!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Gordon

The young lad in Peter's arms is (I believe) Tom and Fran Reinhardt's son Stephan. His grandaughter was not in attendance.

Many thanks to Tom Rowe, Peter Jobusch, and Mike Oates for coming earlier in the week to help with preparations. Mike Moore has become the de facto track marshal at the meets, keeping things running smoothly. A very special thanks to him for his efforts. In spite of dire forecasts for rain this weekend, we only had one shower on Saturday, and that lasted about 30 minutes. Unfortunately the humidity matched the temperature most of the time, so the heat was oppressive when there was no breeze.

For me the highlight was having family members fly in from Walla Walla, WA to see a steam up first hand. When I told them that Staver's were having a meet in Portland, OR too, the response was "Gee, we could have saved the plane tickets!" Ryan B. tutored my cousin's husband in the fine art of preparing and running our Accucraft GS-4 with 10 Accu Daylight cars in tow. I don't think we gained an instant convert, but Gary now appreciates why the rest of us think this is great fun. Maybe Charles captured this "historic family event" and can post a pic.

We were also honored to have "Britstrains" in attendance on Sunday.

One item of note: In the future, we will be having segregated steamups; NO... not men at one and women at another. One meet will be for standard gauge operations, another for narrow gauge, geared engines, and gauge 0. This will permit much more efficient use of the track and sharing of rolling stock. So yes, this does mean TWO meets in the Spring and TWO in the Fall. If you want to run both types of motive power, you will be forced to come twice. "What a revoltin' development."

Thanks again to all who were in attendance. I appreciate those who share a photo or two in the forum. As host I often miss some of the best runs on the track.

Regards

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Dr. Rivet and Jo Anne
Thanks again for hosting the annual steam up at your excellent facilities.

One of the aspects of going to the I&EW steamup is Jim's story time, again we were not without words of widsom and insights that will linger long after the steam has cleared:

Jim, here is a reflective moment of sharing the hobby with family:

Speaking of the "family", all of us were glad to have Joe and Brit as part of our steam family gathering:

While on the topic of the speed of "light", the king of steam and the power plant that was quite a change from the base light Accucraft production to "rapid rover!":

The other aspect of the steam up are the "mini" gatherings that enhance the steam experience:

Bill Crane's Berk set to run

Alan keeping the younger steamers on track

Carl Weaver getting his train onto the main

The plus side of the non-segregated steam up is the variety of topics, and engines that one is exposed to at the steam up:

Anyone able to catch the unique setup on this engine?

Dave's impressive train

Dan "running" the S2:

Jon display of craftsmanship with his freight

Coal power via Justin and Ryan

The arrival from Oz: CF-GW (slight tweak and the second run had power and speed along with the many goodies thanks to Gordon Watson):

Jay- is that a 4-4-0 running with the stack and rods in place?

More later....and video clips too.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Posted By Dr Rivet on 09/15/2008 3:37 AM

Snip...

Thanks again to all who were in attendance. I appreciate those who share a photo or two in the forum. As host I often miss some of the best runs on the track.
Regards
Jim

Jim, it is all of us who thank you!

Charles thanks for the great shot of my 99211 (Wangerooger).

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few more photos.....

The latest of many innovative products from Justin & Jeff: The KS-4 Boy Duck-billed Platypus!

(Dave O. pretty much sums it up in the back ground)

Jason tries to hi-jack the GS-4 when Alan & Jeff briefly left the engine unattended...

Another view of Jons MOW train.

Tom waits out the brief down pour under an umbrella around 4:30 on Saturday. The rain quickly stopped and the steaming quickly resumed.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Speaking of a Duck-billed Platypus; here is a "black beast": a two headed huggy bear Dave that is remote controlled:

No wonder the engine was not able to be in the same photo frame...

Seriously, if anyone wants to "tune" the suspension and RC their NG unit chat with Dave, outstanding job

·
Lord of the Steam
619 Posts
I was finally successful in uploading video number one from this past weekend. It can be found at the YouTube group for Small Scale Live Steam. http://www.youtube.com/group/smallscalesteam

I have another one uploading as I type (part two) but since it took four tries with the YouTube connection timing out - it may take awhile before it is ready.

Enjoy! And again thanks to Jim and JoAnne.

Scott

P.S. I ran the video camera to be able to time a single lap for the Zephyr - using the video to mark where it first enters the frame at the beginning and end of one lap - 47.2 seconds for one circuit!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The arrival of the CF-GW was greatly anticipated having been away for a good length of time (an extra two weeks in the final shipping process). I will detail the upgrades in another thread but the work basically corrected factors of performance and running gear weaknesses. We had the opportunity to give the engine two running sessions. The first was problematic due to an "O" ring problem that was quickly resolved. The second run was for 45 minutes pulling a 10 car daylight set from Accucraft.
One point to look for is an indicator that the engine is running with cut off and denotation of the radius arm positions.
I am sure of all who view the video, Gordon should be most pleased by his craftsmanship(in particular the ability to pull through the "S" curve .9% grade):

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
The true potential of an Accucraft GS4 is demonstrated at this meet. The GS4 v.5 is now on record as being a match for any 4-8-4 by any manufacturer. With torque, speed and pulling power it is a total package. The latest upgrades have enlarge ports steam passages along with re-timing. Thanks to Jeff, Ryan and Alan for making this possible.
So, coming at ya....strap on the belts and enjoy the ride:

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
ALL

In the photo of Justin's coal fired K-27, Peter J is NOT holding Steffan, it is Fran and Tom's daughter, Christine. Sometimes "younger people" look alike to us OLD GUYS (at least for me).

Dr Rivet

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Here's a video link showing that the GS-4 v.5 is a great machine at low speeds also --- starting on Dr. Rivet's 0.6% grade with 10 Accucraft Daylight cars.

Thanks to Ryan and Jeff for all the work, and to many others for parts and inspiration including Gordon for combination levers, Justin for porting inspiration with his K-27, Jason for teflon piston rings, Carl for machine shop access for Jeff, and to Charles for allowing all this craziness to be centered at Triple R Services!

Also, thank you to hosts Dr. Rivet and JoAnne for hosting the meet and allowing many of us to play!

Best regards,

Alan

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Might just be the sound quality of youtube, but the GS-4 sounds a bit out of time, but it still looked smooth at start up! Great videos guys keep em coming!

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Jeff,

I noticed the uneven sound too, but I am sure the engine is in time. Ryan had the bypass all the way closed until the boiler over filled and brought the engine to a gradual halt at the beginning of the grade. He opened the bypass valve and the engine started making steam and began clearing itself.

It did the same thing to me the on Saturday when I left the bypass on too long and it started looking like Old Faithful out the stack. The engine sounded like it had a limp until it cleared and began to hit all four beats evenly. Then it really took off!!!!

Best regards,

Alan

1 - 20 of 56 Posts