G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a full day of trackwork Friday, I was ready to try out the track today and see if it functions correctly. Started out running my C-19, fiddling with the burner, setting the valves, and running it again. Once satisfied with that, I got thee K-28 out, pulling 23 cars most of the way around the track, but slipping at a couple uphill grade spots. So I got out the C-21 to help out. While waiting for the C-21 to raise steam, I added 6 more cars. Seemed to do better as a double header, But still had one spot that the C-21 would stop, while the K-28 slipped. Time for the C-19 to jump in. I moved the C-21 to the rear of the train as a helper, the C-19 to the front, as its front coupler hight does not align with anything, and the K-28 behind the C-19, pulling 29 cars easily around the track. I am putting some videos on you tube, here is the first.

Enjoy
Tim

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gibs, it was a lot to do at once, being engineer for 3 locos, while running a camera and keeping an eye on two toddlers!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

Thanks for the comments on the layout, it is a lot of work too./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Man, all that run'in and two toddlers too. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif:) I really enjoyed, thanks.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Tim,

Are your locos manually controlled? Or, are you using radio control? If manually controlled, you really did have your hands full. At any rate, it certainly was fun to watch.

I really like that arched viaduct bridge on your layout. Impressive bit of civil engineering!

Llyn

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Tim,
That was terrific and something I've not seen before. I especially like the scene where your C-19, 346 sounded just like an airplane :rolleyes:

Keep the videos coming. Your layout makes a good background.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

Llyn, yes all three engines are manually controlled. And I built that arch viaduct a couple years ago. I posted a three part build thread in the tracks, tressels and bridges forum, but I guess that is lost, or i at least dont know if you can find it, since the forum was redone. I actually used a landscape rock I found at a local supplier, cut it into small blocks on a wet saw to form the stones.

I guess the airplane that flew over was realistic background noise, since it was a prop plane. If it would have been a jet, I would of had to dub it out.

tim

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Wow Tim! Keeping three pots of water boiling at the same time! Great job and video. Loved the uncompensated S curve shot. Thought for sure you were going to have a jack knife situatiion. Beautiful work. Miss steaming with you guys at the Mid West steamups but just too far to travel now.
Keep Larry H in line...ha!
Noel

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee, thanks Redbeard for finding that thread/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif I didnt know you could pull those old threads up./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif Noel I will tell Lary you said Hi. Gas prices are keeping alot of people from traveling. I managed those s curves several times with that run. I used over a gallon of water and a 16 oz can of fuel to do it.

Tim

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Tim, Good to see a train looking so prototypical and on your ballasted ground level railway it really looks the part. Brilliant work, the engines running at that speed are perfect and the sounds spot on. Thanks for taking the effort to compile the video and post here. Enjoyed it very much.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Wow. You are Superman. Tending three locomotives, working a camera AND watching a youngster is more than a hand full. Great videos Tim.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You guys that know Tim - know that he has a younger helper that could operate Tim's locos when he was about two or three years old.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grant is a good helper. He can fill the boiler, add gas to the tender, oil around, fill the lubricator, and clean the engine after a run. He has not yet actually ran a live steamer, but he has his own battery operated trains that he can run on the track anytime he wants. His biggest help is a second pair of eyes watching the train. If something comes uncoupled, or a derailment, He is usually the one who spots it first. I stop the train, and inspect the cause, while Grant rights the cars. He also helps put the cars on the track, and helps put them away, and helps keep an eye on his little brother who might try to sabotage the train/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif Grant is 5 and when he is a little older, will get to run a live steamer on his own. Blaise is 2 and while he is very interested in the whole thing he still has a while to go, so for now he just watches.

Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts