G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
RE: Does yoiur club charges fees??

My club does, and the money helps pay for the club's modular layout, among other things.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Our Backyard Railroaders club charges $30.00 per year/family membership. That's about ten couples. We have monthly round robin meetings; in the summer they're open houses. We eat well, and compensate the cooks. There's money in the bank, and we're considering what to do with it, possibly bus rental for a group day trip this summer or next year. AFAIC it better be steam! ;-)

Our Association, COGRA, (Central Ontario Garden Railroad Association), charges $40.00 per year/family. About 80 families. We hold one annual general meeting, and a series of open houses in the summer, each host providing the yummies. We set up a large display at various venues round the Golden Horseshoe - the Lake Ontario shoreline. In the past our money has gone mostly towards our display layout, now it's spent only on printing and postage of our newsletter 4 times a year. I'd vote for going digital with the newsletter but the editor doesn't want this. We'll remain printed matter until a change of the guard, and nobody else seems to want the job! Anyway, we have money in the bank, so next year will be dues free for all present members. ;-)

·
Premium Member
44 Posts

The San Antonio Garden Railroad Engineers Society charges $25 a year per family to cover expenses for shows, landscaping , and supplies and repairs. This, plus donations at our public layout, dosen't come close to covering our annual expenses but we periodically recieve support for our capitol projects from the Texas Transportation Museum, of which we are an operating division. Our members also must annually join the museum, who's dues are $35.

·
Registered
79 Posts

The Rocky Mountain G Scalers charge an annual $20.00/year per family (prorated monthly fee when joining). Funds are used to pay for the costs of the annual picnic held at a members house and Christmas Party.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The local clubs here in town are mostly HO or open to whatever, but the open club has attendance requirements, you have to host the group every other year ect. The politics have gotten out of hand in that club, so I nolonger am a member. The other HO club with a fixed HO layout is down to just a couple members, so its not worth the $15 a month dues(covers the heat/AC bills). There is what appears to be a decent large scale club, looks to be mostly Indianapolis based(about a 45min drive from my place) that my wife and I plan to join soon. I dont care for clubs that worry more about rules and dues than running trains and having fun! Mike

·
Registered
978 Posts
Our club the Pocono Mt garden RR society has no fees or obligations. It is open to everyone at no cost and all politics are left at home. I was always against paying fees for membership, unless the club owned or rented space for their layout. We meet once a month at each others house and run trains. We also have a modular layout and trailer to store it in for shows. The money for it came from donations and club members. If a member did not want to put money towards it that was ok, no hard feelings. Im not into the modular thing so i dont normaly man a post at it. I rather look at the other train displays and chat. We do have members that enjoy the modular and will stand post at every show. Again no one cares because we respect each others views. I do host club meets at my house while others dont. When we meet at someones house everyone will bring food. We have a good following for only being around for a few years. Everyone really enjoys the club because it is very layed back.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I am trying to start a large scale club around the Kokomo IN area, sort of shooting for a cordial group of friends that like to meet up a once a month(or more) and just run trains or help each other on thier layouts. Indoor or outdoor layouts welcome. The idea being no dues, meetings set up thru email or txt messaging. There is enough information online to dispense with a newsletter or any formal type club communication. The other gentleman into G scale localy that I know of does this with some of his HO scale buddies every Tuesday. Now granted they are all retired or self employed, so that allows the weekday meeting time. I am thinking a Saturday or Sunday meeting time. Can be day time or evenings since it does get quite hot and humid in Indiana in the summer. I personaly have never cared for clubs with lots of rules, dues, requirements to be a member that all really take away from the enjoyment. Sadly many clubs have gotten this way, and usualy tend to have an inner circle that excludes other members to some extent. There is enough stress in life, trains is my way of trying to escape that. Cheers Mike T

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
As a past president of a car club with over 200 members, having members that pay their dues and you never see them again does not help the club if you have activities that need member participation. We raised money for the Russell Home for Atypical Children and to cover the cost of a monthly news letter, club shirts etc. With over 200 members, we were hard pressed to get 20 members to help do High School Home Coming parades which provided a large part of the money we made during the year. So if your train club has plans of having a club owned modular layout or even a permanent layout, then you need people that will help. Having 200 members with only 5 members wanting to help will get you no where. For this reason, I understand why some clubs require a certain amount of participation from their members. To me, I'd rather be involved in a club of 20 friends that all participate than a club of 200 with only 20 members participating.

Now, if you're wanting to start a club where the members have weekly or monthly runs at each others layouts, you have to consider members that have trains but no layout. As long as the members with the layouts are understanding that not everyone that loves trains are able to have their own layout, then by all means, you need to allow members with only trains.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Minnesota Garden Railway Society (MGRS) charges $15 per year for membership, but if you have a Garden Layout and host an Open House, your membership fees are waived for two years. Most of our club members host Open Houses at least once every two years to maintain their membership free of charge. All of our Open Houses are free.

·
Vendor
3,319 Posts
The local Prescott club dues are $24.00 a year..

We have a monthly meeting, an annual "Beat the Heat" Swap Meet in August, a Christmas Run at the Prescott Resort the first Saturday every December in conjunction with the Court House Christmas Tree lighting and parade, a summer picnic and a Christmas party.

·
Super Modulator
20,566 Posts
About the same cost here in San Diego. I wish the club was more active with operating sessions, not just once a month meetings at a house.

Greg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our Club's Open Houses are pretty much every weekend, with a different member each time. Already this year there has been an open house every Saturday since the beginning of May, and we're booked up through the end of October! We have only one weekend still open and that's Labor Day Weekend.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts