G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
RE: Does yoiur club charges fees??

Membership fees and collecting them is usually a sore point with most clubs. There needs to be a reason to ask for fees and if there isn't one, most won't pay. Regards, Dennis.

·
Registered
357 Posts

I am not formally a member of any g-scale clubs, however the 7.5" gauge club does charge membership dues.

They use these dues for operation costs, as well as new track/buildings/trains.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts

My local club occasionally asks for dues to cover the cost of mailings (now rare as most of us have email). The dues also help determine how "serious" someone is about becoming a member. Dues are frequently waived when the yearly expenses have been low. I know that my local large scale club is a bargain compared to the local HO club.

Yours,
David Meashey

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts

I belong to the tca, train collectors association. Both locally and national. $10.00 local and $35.00 national. Belonging allows me the ability to get in the two tca York shows yearly and the local shows in Florida. I get news letters from both and my dues help support the national toy train museum in strasburg pa.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts

Our club has annual dues. For new members, we use this to buy their nametags. We reimburse meeting hosts for snacks. We also reimburse members fuel for hauling the club trailer to shows.

Michael

·
Registered
3,384 Posts

A $20/yr per family fee takes care of reimbursing the host member for each month's potluck open house, mailed color hard copies of the newsletter for those who still don't have/like e-mail, web site hosting fees, name tags, library acquisitions, TrainLi rail bender, and such. Also, members who pay their dues in November of the prior year receive a free yearly calender (as incentive) which takes most of that $20 itself and other people may buy them at a substantially reduced rate, well below club cost.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts

Daniel,

I don't belong to a "G" scale club, but I do have a membership to a live steam organization. Los Angeles Live Steamers. Have been a member for over 31 years. The fees are $100/year for a resident member(within 60 mile radius of the club in Griffith Park), $30/year for non-resident(over 60 mile radius), $20/year for Junior member and $20/year for a Low Income member(Board approval).

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts

A guy named Guido comes around and basically takes your wallet and hands it back to you.

I don't ask any questions, he's a big guy.

Greg

(actually I do belong, I do pay dues, and I rarely participate, just no time)

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts

The "local" club I am not a memeber of. To date I've made one meeting and 2 open houses and been presetn long enough at 2 shows they set up at to see the layout and only got to talk to them once at one show. I'd still join but that does not meet the minimum requirements of participation for them. Annual dues cover some expenses similar to what was stated here earlier about reimbursing expenses for travel of club inventory and refreshments etc.& I felt when I looked at them they were not un-reasonable. I'd still join if they would have me but at this point I'm much younger than most of them and work full time with a young family AND live about an hours drive away and that throws all sorts of monkey wrenches in the works for them as it limits my potential particiaption.

Chas

·
Premium Member
365 Posts

Posted By wchasr on 12 Dec 2011 02:27 PM
The "local" club I am not a memeber of. To date I've made one meeting and 2 open houses and been presetn long enough at 2 shows they set up at to see the layout and only got to talk to them once at one show. I'd still join but that does not meet the minimum requirements of participation for them. Annual dues cover some expenses similar to what was stated here earlier about reimbursing expenses for travel of club inventory and refreshments etc.& I felt when I looked at them they were not un-reasonable. I'd still join if they would have me but at this point I'm much younger than most of them and work full time with a young family AND live about an hours drive away and that throws all sorts of monkey wrenches in the works for them as it limits my potential particiaption.

Chas

I can't imagine a club having "minimum participation requirements." I know our club is happy for every member we can get. In this hobby, in my experience, an hour's drive is nothing. Layouts are few and far between. Some of our members have to drive two hours to get to many of our meetings. There are other clubs where people drive half-way across the state to go to a meeting. I can also tell you from experience, that at a show you have to be proactive in talking to the members, and most will be happy to talk all you want. If you just stand there with the rest of the public, you may or may not get talked to. IMHO, any club who has any limits or demands on membership is doomed for failure.

Michael

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts

I think it depends on what kind of a club you like.
We have a small group of around 15 or so, that most of the time about once a month try to hold a train run and BBQ pot luck, and if someone wants to to run more often its here to run.. Some donate track and stuff to make the layout better but no dues....
We now have around 600 ft of track and lots for things to do on it for Batt. power and Track power.
We tried to include the wives & their friends to our train runs and we have more fun that way in our get-togethers.
We try to have every one run their trains. We have lots of rolling stock and Eng. if they didn't bring any thing to run..
So guess it again depends on what kind of a club you like or belong to.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

We have yearly dues which are payable by the first of the year. Once the grace period expires, they no longer get access to the web site which is our newsletter with an events schedule.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts

Our $20.00 annual dues cover publishing and distributing the monthly newsletter. buying track, power suppliies, materials for our portable display, purchasing equipment and media which are available for club member use, buying some of the big ticket items for the annual picnic/potluck, etc. There is no minimum participation requirement, but we sure do encourage volunteers at our periodic public displays!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

We have dues, $1.00 a month, or $12.00 a year for the whole family. When we set up at train shows we charge. It all volunteer for taking the layout to shows, and having a meeting. Who ever has the meeting provides lunch, but they do not have to.
We use the money for the club layout.

·
Registered
47 Posts

The Bay Area Garden Railway Club membership is $35 per year.
We provide a website with event info, pictures, videos, online payment services, newsletter (bagrs.org)

We did not create it, we use a website service from a company focusing on non-profits.

We offer clinics and open garden railways throughout the year.
We have a live steam group we support for outreach with a trailer and its maintenance.
We have a "garden railroad on a trailer" experiment for outreach as well.

We mail a postcard to arrive a few days before events.
We provide new members with a badge. Two-color engraved!
We charge $20 for our annual meeting with a featured speaker, swap meet, clinics, and free breakfast and lunch.

Chip Treasurer

·
Registered
455 Posts

I've always found it odd if you're willing to pay dues but not be an active (or not overly active) member what is wrong with that ?! The last I heard the regional yrly fee is $20cdn

Personally, I was a member of the regional G-gauge club within a month of finally jumping on board with MR ..straight into GR ! I was a very active member for two yrs till 'politics' came up which reminded me of the corp. crap I was exposed to for 19yrs., so I did not renew. And even received a thank you letter from the club for some initiative(s) I had done {looks good on the resume LOL }.

Since then I still do promote our hobby just as much 'outside-the-box' ! Over the last 11 yrs since I went 'independent' I still chat with peoples who maybe interested in GR but I always recommend they become a member of the regional club, so they 'network' with a large variety of like-minded individuals vs just one or

two !

imho,

doug c

"G-gauge my not RULE, But it GROWS on YA !! " djc'99

·
Premium Member
433 Posts

The Sacramento Valley Garden Railway Society has annual dues of $25 per year after the first year of $35 (name badges). The dues covers the cost of our web site, newsletter, and "incentives" for having a meeting. It also covers the costs associated with moving our Modular RR from place to place. Lastly, the dues cover the "free" annual picnic and bbq.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I am treasurer of the Georgia Garden Railroad Society so I can break it down pretty well for ya.
The GGRS charges $25 a year for a family/individual membership.
Our operating costs include maintaining our show layout, taking it to shows, etc. We have a trailer that the trailer is towed in.
Whoever tows the trailer gets reimbursed per mile. We also have to pay for tag, tires and maintenance on the trailer.
We have monthly meetings at members layouts. The host receives $100 to provide the main dish for the group, while
those attending bring a side dish to share. We also operate a website www.ggrs.info
We are currently in the process of upgrading our show layout to the Aristo Revolution.
The club owns several locomotives and cars that go with the layout. We are also in the process
of putting together a 2nd layout that will be more portable than the show layout.
We have an annual banquet around the holidays. The club provides the main dish and members bring a side.
Hope this helps!
Chris

·
Premium Member
155 Posts

California Central Coast Garden Railroad Society has dues of $10 a year. Pays for web site, door prizes at christmas show. @import url(http://www.mylargescale.com/Providers/HtmlEditorProviders/CEHtmlEditorProvider/Load.ashx?type=style&file=SyntaxHighlighter.css);@import url(/providers/htmleditorproviders/cehtmleditorprovider/dnngeneral.css);

1 - 20 of 32 Posts