G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
The USA bay windows are nowhere near the S.P. home built bay windows.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just an update on caboose trucks...
I found a pair of 1/32nd caboose trucks while sorting which are too small for us 1/29th modelers, so I had an idea. I took a pair of USAT Bettendorf freight trucks and slaved to carve out the spring area by hand ...

and I cut out the leaf spring section of the 1/32 trucks...

Then I put the spring section in the hole in the USAT truck.

So not perfect, but will look a heck of a lot better than freight trucks :)
I think I'll put 'em on my USAT CB&Q wood side caboose.

I hope the pictures auto size. I can't figure how to edit them on this new forum software :confused:

Guess I'd better PM Dwight again.

Rocky

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Rocky,
Since we are talking trucks. I always thought that the USA Bettendorf truck seemed small for 1/29,more like 1/32. In 1/29 they are only 5'4" on axle centers. Aristos are 5'9" on center. Which is correct or were there different prototype spacings? What is the spacing on the newer trucks that come with the USA caboose? Didn't mean to muddle the waters here but inquiring minds need to know.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Paul, I'll have to measure the spacing on the B-B trucks and let you know. I have different sized leaf springs off of B-man and Aristo passenger trucks. The problem I ran into with the Aristo truck conversion to B-B for Cabeese is the way the bolster meets the sideframe. I will be trying it again, but think I'll have to run a screw thru the top of the sideframe and into the bolster holding the leaf spring just inside or below it. I just thought I'd try it this way because I had the 1/32 trucks to grind up and I figured the spring part would be a good "pop in" detail if I sanded it down and thinner in order to fit - And it did. But I've spent hours and hours working on the USAT sideframes to carve out those springs, pain in the a**. But I think it turned out ok. Not great, but it will work on an older wood side caboose. Still it means one less pair of caboose trucks I'll need to find, get, buy etc.. As with you, I have noted that all the brake gear or lack there of needs to be addressed as well. Loads of fun :eek:

Rocky

ps. There not much in rolling stock worse looking than a caboose with freight car trucks on it :mad:

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Since you started all this Rocky..I have learned one thing...that at some point in time all cars were required to run on roller bearings!! Even cabeese..

And then one day I took a long look at the SP bay window, sitting in Benson near the depot.
It has roller bearings..and those leaf springs. ....together...!!!

So guess what I'll be working towards someday?!!

Thanks for pointing this out!!!

Dirk

21 - 28 of 28 Posts