G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doc’s Private Car Revisited

I can’t believe it’s been almost 4 years since I started this project.  I hate to admit it but the car has been locked up in a box for almost 3 years.  A lot of this had to do with our packing up and moving from Virginia to North Carolina and the ensuing effort to get the new house and yard/layout into shape.

At the time, the scratch building of a 1:20 passenger car/business car was unique.  There were only a couple of other persons who even attempted such an involved project.  One of them was Kevin Strong and his combine #18.  In fact, he was my inspiration.  The only commercial products available were kits offered by Hartford, Don Winter, and I believe Phil’s Narrow Gauge.

However, things have changed.  In the past year, several people including Kevin and Richard have posted some really fantastic passenger/business car projects of which I am duly impressed.  In addition, the styrene Carter Bros. passenger car project initiated by David and produced by Rick, the production of wood kits by Bronson-Tate, and the release of plastic passenger cars by AMS have revitalized the interest in passenger cars.

All these recent events have renewed my inspiration and brought me to the realization that, if I didn’t get back to my car now, I might never.  So, a couple of months ago, I decided to set aside my Mason Bogie project and drag out the old car and get on with it.

Many of you are new to MLS and probably aren’t aware of my previous work.  It was originally posted in the Master Class Forum.  Here is the old article for those who want/need to be reminded of the steps that went into the construction of my private car.

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24318

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THE INTERIOR:[/b]

When I last worked on the car I had begun detailing the insides of the exterior walls.  I had developed a technique for creating the effect of paneling.  It involved layering the walls with various pieces of 1/32” basswood, staining the pieces, and spraying them with high gloss polyurethane.  Since it has been so long, it took me a while to figure out exactly what I had done to get the effect.  Luckily, it was documented in the MLS archives.  My next step was to create the interior walls that were used in the prototype.  I tried to follow the prototype as best I could.  The paneling that I decided to use in no way reflects the actual prototype.  I really don’t know what the interior of the Edna looked like.  I used much of what I learned from reading “Mansions on Rails” by Lucius Beebe to glean ideas.  That book contains a wealth of information on private cars and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to build their own private/business car.  Cars described in the book range from the sublime to the ridiculous.  I picked sublime I guess.

Here is a photo of the walls temporarily installed prior to paneling.  The interior walls begin as 1/16” basswood.

I attempted to duplicate the paneling that I used on the inside of the exterior walls, after all, it had been a rather long time and we old folks have a tough time remembering last week.

After cutting the wall sections, I stained them with a first coat of Minwax golden oak.  Below are a few pictures of the partially completed paneled walls.  The panel pieces have not yet been stained.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THE INTERIOR (Continued):[/b]

Sorry for having to break this thing into several pieces.  I tried to do it all at once but the system wouldn’t allow me.

Here is one section of wall with a paneled door temporarily put in place.

This picture shows the same door stained, finished, and hardware installed.

A close up of the raised paneling detail.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Wow. Getting to ride around in that car would make you want to be a railroad baron! Beautiful work.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Next, I’ll show you a series of photos of the interior walls with stained paneling.
Note: None of the walls have been permanently installed.  They were set in place for photo purposes.

A shot through the rear door:

A view from above of the front hallway:  The small compartment lined with aluminum is where the Baker Heater will go.

A view from the front:  The camera is positioned above the kitchen area.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here are a few more shots of the interior.

A view of the dining area, from the front looking into the parlor:  The windows still have the cardboard fillers in them.  I still haven’t painted the exterior side walls.

Another view of the dining area looking toward the bedroom:  One side of the car has been removed for the photo.

And last, a view of the parlor looking forward toward the dining area:

I think that’s enough for now.  In my next posting, I’ll show some of the interior fixtures including built-in furniture, bathroom fixtures, Baker Heater, and kitchen stuff.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been all that active on the site but maybe this project will get me back into the swing of things.

Doc

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Hi Doc,

WOW, your interior is super, nice work. Good to hear you'r back at it, I really enjoy checking the building logs, I think they creat a lot of interest on MLS. Keep up the good work.

chuckger

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Holy Schnieke's !! Doc - I think I met / saw you at the ECLSTS one time, with this car and maybe a 4-4-0?  Either way, this is one impressive model.  Looks great!! I like the persian rug, too.  

Even though I have no talents for making models, these are inspiring to see!

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Doc

I've been tempted many times to ask about your progress on the private car, but figured that when you got everything straightened around after the move you'd get back with us for an update.

Boy! Did you ever. that is really some fantastic progress not to mention professional workmanship.

Many thanks for once again taking the time to share.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Wow that's great! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

Are you planning to put a bed in the car? 

I'm still looking for the right dollhouse furniture brass bed for a business car I repainted.  They are usually too big for my 1:22.5 scale.  I bet most are perfect for 1:20.3

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Doc,

You're back and with a splash. Whatta splash it is too! Maybe you should consider making two roofs for that beauty, one solid for running it, and another of clear acrylic for viewing and display. Work like that needs to be seen.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys.  It feels good to be back.  I hope I can keep after it until completion.  Spring is almost here and the layout will be calling.

Mark,  You sure did see this thing at ECLSTS.  I think it was 3 shows ago.  I may bring it to this year's show.  I'll be there all day Friday.  Probably head back sometime Sat. morning.

John and Richard,  The roof is removeable and will remain so.  I wouldn't cover up all that work.

San Juan,  I made a bed with storage underneath.  I'll show it in my next posting.  I've seen some 1:24 dollhouse stuff and am using some but it's too small.

Doc

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
All I can say is WOW! You really raise the bar HIGH. I haven't read all the previous article, but I have book marked it. That back railing is fantastic, the way you did the trucks was amazing! I have a couple of questions that are probably covered in the article but which I hope you can answer anyway since I am in a rush to know for my own (modest project)
1. Where did you get that lock set and hinges for the doors? What sizes or product number are they
2. Where did you find that carpet?
3. Where can I find brass rings, and what sizes do they come in?
Just beautiful Doc,,, I can't say enough about it.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Richard,

Thanks for the compliments.  You are one of the reasons I just had to get back to this project.  I have admired your car building talents and especially your casting skills.  I plan to order several of your figures in the near future.

BTW, the trucks are Hartford passenger truck kits.

To try to answer your questions:

1. Where did you get that lock set and hinges for the doors? What sizes or product number are they 

Miniatures.com has a good selection of 1:24 fixtures.  4242 6 Sets of Mini Hinges with 4 Nails 1 $5.99 1145 Traditional Round Knob w/Back Plate by Houseworks 1 $2.40
http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/index2.asp

2. Where did you find that carpet?

I got the carpet at a dollhose store in Falls Church,VA a few years ago

3. Where can I find brass rings, and what sizes do they come in?

I got the brass rings at Michaels.  You can probably find them at any craft or fabric store that carry jewerly findings, etc.

Hope this helps.

Doc

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Doc,

Wow, you have really captured the look of varnished hardwoods for the interior panels. I have tried but not been sucessful. You nailed it. 

By the way, Doug Bronson uses the brass hinges in his Carter Bros. Passenger car kits. Way to go Doug. 

In the past 2-3 years the bar has been elevated for all sorts of modeling, Doc you just bumped the interior standards over the top. Again, I say Wow.

Rich Schiffman

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Doc,
The info is much appreciated, I got some shopping to do ;)
Thanks for the compliments about my coach building skills, but reading through your archived thread has taught me that I need to acquire a lot more skills. I would love to see Dillingham standing on that platform .

1 - 20 of 82 Posts