G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I now have 7 new USA Train diesel locos (F7, GP9, GP30, GP38) and the fleet is still growing. I see that replacement parts like motor trucks, shoes, geared axles and traction tires are currently available to purchase, and my locos can generally use the same parts. Historically, have USA Trains replacement parts generally always been available, or would you recommend my picking up some while they are available, in case (i.e., when) things break in the future?

If advance purchase is recommended, what commonly breaks that you would you recommend I get?

Thank you.

Kent

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't know about the larger community, but I have mostly been able to get most spare parts for my USAT F-3AB with the older style smoke generators. I bought the engine in 2015 but it was new old stock, I guess they first made my model in 2003 but I have no idea when mine was built. What I seem to remember having to replace have been mostly detail parts after six years of a lot of running with kids: chimneys, traction tires, ladders, stirrups for side frames, maybe air hoses; I think they were out of the pilot insert when I asked about it. I guess if they weren't still making the F-7 I would get worried.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Things only tend to get more expensive and harder to find. Maybe stock up on a few wheel-sets, and even get some metal tires to replace the traction tires. Not only will this improve power pick-up, but it will allow the wheels a bit more "slippage" before you crack an axle.

BTW, I find that the later the wheel-sets, the more prone they are to slip within their gears-sets (brand new from USA), even if the gear-sets are not cracked. I pull the offending axle and put a couple drops of CA in these and immediately set the gauge before it binds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts