G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you, or do you not, complain about something you get an it's not right. Like ball bearing wheels that roll like a brick, or maybe a engine that falls apart before you can run it? Or do you just smile and say to yourself money well spent?  

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
Don, Now that's a loaded question if I ever saw one./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif:D 
I don't know if I start out complaining. It's more of a "bringing it to customer services attention or a more vocal Ehemmmmmm! It doesn't turn into complainin' until I perceive that I'm being ignored or they just can't get thing correct through either not listening or just plain old fashioned incompitence./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif

But to answer it......... Shonufff. Like most here I think would. That is unless the complainin' is gonna be more effort that just throwing some glue or bending a tab that was missed would be. Then there would be how boastful the company was about their customer service of course can't forget the money paid for something (Higher dollars = higher expectations of quality and service) plays into the picture. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Depends how severe the fault is. If it's something I can fix with no trouble, I'll fix it. If it's something dreadful, the mfr would probably like to see it 'cause they don't like making trash any more than we like buying it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I do not complain. My wife does that for me. Here in the UK Solicitors practice CIVIL law. My lovely wife is a Solicitor in both English and Scottish Law and is a qualified Barrister in Scottish Law. You can actually FEEL the other end of the telephone shrivel at the words,

"Are you familar with The Sale of Goods Act 1893 part 3 paragraph 9 in respect to Goods of Merchandisable Quality?"

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Depends, who's fault is it? :confused:

If I buy something thats defective at the onset, someones going to hear about it/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

If its something I built and screwed the pooch on, well, no way, cause I know where the fault lies.../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By Trains on 01/25/2008 6:49 AM
Do you, or do you not, complain about something you get an it's not right. . .
Extremely high shipping costs to here preclude my returning anything unless it would be severely damaged, which has never happened. In fact,  so far in my dozen plus years in this hobby I have never had a problem with anything I have received from any of the suppliers.  The only time I ever ship anything out is for installation of sound and battery receiver, although usually I have such units sent directly to the installer first. 

--Ron in CC, Alaska

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
To quote Bender from "The Breakfast Club"

"Its an imperfect world.  Screws fall out all the time."

I've yet to find that bullet proof train.  Mostly, they work out of the box.  So yes, I do expect that models will work without modification.  To your loaded question, I believe that all new products will have teething issues.  Ever own a Volkswagen?  I'm on my 3rd.  As a general rule of thumb, its best not to be the first owner on the block.  (Although I'd break my own rule to own a new Audi R8 with the V-12 Diesel that keeps winning LeManns)

OR better yet, to quote Anton Ego in "Ratatouille"

Anton Ego: In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. "

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
Well.:rolleyes:

First off I have a problem with the idea of imperfections being exceptable due to the fact that any item is a first generation!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif

When you purchase an item and there is a firm entrance price. The manufactur expects to get the price they have set and or is asking...they expect that!   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif                 Or you don't walk out of the store with that item!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

I feel since they expect that...I expect to get what I have paid for!   Without any inherant production problems!  Barring any "lemons" that seem to be produced once and awhile!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

That being said......manufactures always rush to get a new anything onto the consumer markets that will generate "NEW" revenue, that was not previously realized!  THAT IS THE PROBLEM!!!!!!
What it takes to produce any given item, or market it or what ever is not my concern, and I will not be held responsible for that..if they produce it they have taken on the responsibility to deliver to myself an item that they feel they can charge for...and I expect the quality that was promised by plunking down my hard earned cash for the asking price!! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif;):confused:

These problems are all due to the manufacturer forgoing the proper testing, evaluation time needed to rule out any of the potential problems with any new product! Needing to pay for the production fees and or what ever overhead was incured! (which is sometimes deadly..can anyone say Pinto, Corvair, Celebrex)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/angry.gif/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif:mad:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

Dave Goodson has been kind enough to pioneer fixing the the inherant design problems with the new K.....what should really be happening is that Bachmann should have on their payroll a person like Dave, if NOT Dave that is cracker jack with problem solving these types of issues on their payroll to do just that....problem solve and evaluate in the "REAL" world, prior to release!!;););):)
Instead of not listening to him when he speaks....some people are just born to lead in ANY given area!;) 

I for one spend money like a drunk'in salior on trains.....I do not purchase another item manufactured by a company that I have had problems with...Dan Moore can ya say "Boat Anchor"...that company will NEVER get anymore of my money...I don't care how cool there engines look!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif

This hobby is expensive....that also being said, I buy where I get the most bang for my buck...if I can get it cheaper WITH shipping clear accross the country then I can get it here in my own back yard...I will  and do!  I can't see paying an EXTRA $40-$80 just to support the local dealers so they can take that extra vacation!  Sorry but NO!!!!! (do't care about their overhead, online will do away with store fronts in the future anyways!);):)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif;);)

I do without certain things so I CAN buy my trains!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

Bottom line is if manufactures expect the price that they have set.........I expect to recieve what I have payed for!   That is a no-brainer!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif

This might seem hard nosed, but I want what I want...and will pay what I have to pay to have what I want!   ;):D:)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/shocked.gif
I just better get what I paid for!  Or there will be **** to pay, as I am NOT shy...I likes' a good fight...once and awhile!;)/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/plain.gif:mad:/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/pinch.gif/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

Bubba

Geeez!           You are correct...sorry, but I get flamed up on occasion!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
As long as it is somthing simple and I can fix it I do so. If it is major then I will complain and request repair or replacement. When you have to buy on the internet and depend on the brown or white truck for delivery opening the box is always a hold your breath moment.

G

·
living in a country, where there is NO modelrailroad club, where to my knowledge has been imported a total of about a dozen trainsets in 20 years(bachmann and playmobil) by the half dozen of toy shops - I take what i get. in any shape. period.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
If you are going to pay $300 to $3500 or more for a locomotive(or anything), it better work right out of the box! You should not have to do "little" fixes yourself just to get it to run or to repair somthing broken!! Would you tweak or repair your new HDTV, or your brand new PC, or your new car, or........, by gluing parts back on or because the knobs fall off. or whatever!! I don't think so. If you are willing to fix stuff please let me know, I have a lot of broken stuff I'd like to sell you. Smiley face here. No matter how much I want somthing I never rush to buy the first one out, I wait for the manufacturer to get it right then I buy. If they don't get it right I will never buy the item.

G

·
Posted By Torby on 01/25/2008 7:28 AM
Depends how severe the fault is. If it's something I can fix with no trouble, I'll fix it. If it's something dreadful, the mfr would probably like to see it 'cause they don't like making trash any more than we like buying it.

i was going to answer this question, but i think i'll keep my mouth SHUT.....
Nick/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I do, but it is often pointless.
The shill cry of "Bashing! Bashing!" reduces my desire to even mention often obvious problems.
I have worked with one manufacturer for 11 years, and things get better almost every time.
But now, more than ever, the cry of "Bashing!" is being replaced by "paid!" or some other such rot.
****, if I got paid for all the time it takes to sort these out, I'd have retired years ago!
Do I put up with it?
If I feel it is salvageable, yes.
If not, no.
I have never, ever returned a unit to the manufacturer for warranty.
In all scales. I will figure out a way to fix it, publish the fix, and sit back while clueless individuals take pot-shots at me.
It has long-since ceased to be "fun".

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
G R I P E F E S T   2 0 0 8 !

-Brian

Brian, Bachmann were warned weeks ago that this was going to be a PR disaster.

Yet to have proper company authorised fixes are the chuff problem.  
Which they had better do something about pretty quick smart, or the poop will hit the fan again.

.......and:

Yet to fully surface are the problems with DCC pnp compatibility.
As I understand it, and I could be wrong of course, there is only one DCC decoder that is actually Plug'n'Play.  QSI.  The Digitrax DG583AR will not work without bending a pin out of the way.
That problem alone will maybe be as bad as the other two problem areas put together.

Fortunately for us battery R/C guys, it looks like the jigger will almost work as planned.

BTW.  the picture in my avatar in no way reflects my true character./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

·
Registered
82 Posts
Report a problem?
This site is evidence of such activity.
HOWEVER, the difficulty with a single reporting is there will follow reports of NO problems. Now, a defense of the negative event can become the thread vs. discovery of the remedy for that particular event.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By TonyWalsham on 01/25/2008 5:51 PM
G R I P E F E S T   2 0 0 8 !

-Brian

Brian, Bachmann were warned weeks ago that this was going to be a PR disaster.

Tony, I did not realize this thread was specifically geared towards Bachmann. Gripe away! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

-Brian

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By altterrain on 01/26/2008 12:00 AM

I did not realize this thread was specifically geared towards Bachmann. Gripe away!

-Brian
Nor did I. Sometimes it seems as if the Bachmann K-27 is all the ONLY topic some people will talk about on this forum lately, no matter how a particular thread might have started. What gives? Nevermind.  I'll probably be sorry I ever asked.  

1 - 20 of 29 Posts